No Need to Fear Physics: Exploring Non-Chemistry Fields

In summary, as a physics major, it is not necessary to be a big fan of chemistry, but there are certain fields of physics such as biophysics and atmospheric physics that may require a moderate understanding of chemistry. However, these fields tend to be pushed to the side and there are still many other areas of physics that do not heavily rely on chemistry. Ultimately, it is important to find what interests you and give chemistry a chance before completely dismissing it.
cscott
If I'm not a big fan of chemistry, are there are fields of physics I should potentially stay away from?

Physics news on Phys.org
p-chem?

What is it about chemistry that you do not like?

I didn't know physics majors requires more chem than a regular engineering major but all schools are different. I have a friend who is a physics major and he took the same amount of chem as me, only 2 courses.

I am tranferring to UC Davis from my community college in the winter as a physics major and I am finishing up my second semester of chemistry. I also dislike chemistry; I just don't find the material very satisfying. It seems that there is a greater emphasis placed on memorization (elements, oxidation numbers) and to me the problems are not much fun to grind through.

I can't imagine it to be too big of a deal not to like chemistry, after all you are a physics major.

Chemistry is much less elegant, in my opinion, than physics. someday all of chemistry can be understood in terms of physics and someday, even later, all of biology and medicine, i s'pose. but at present, there is a lot more memorization of facts (like what is it that comes out of various specific chemical reactions) in chemistry than there is in physics. being an electrical engineer, i can't claim to be a physicist anymore than an EE is a physicist, but from this perspective, physics is more congruent to my neurons than chemsitry is. i don't even know for sure what the chemistry of a ordinary lead-acid battery is.

rbj touched on what I think as well... I mean I've hardly taken any "real" chem but the resonance structures we're doing right now are borrrrinngg for me. I don't see the same math type stuff in chem as I do physics and feel I'm doing everything in a 'cookbook' style fashion.

I have to take two terms of chem as a physics major.

are there are fields of physics I should potentially stay away from?

Biophysics and Atmospheric for sure.

Biophysics as it is, at the moment, publishing in many of the same journals as biochemists, so according to the biophysicist at my univeristy you have to have a moderate understanding of chemistry to understand a fairly important portion of the research going on. Of course that is if you are tending towards protein biophysics...membrane biophysics he told me wasn't so bad if you have a bit of difficulty with the chemistry.

Atmospheric, from the grad students that I have talked to that were doing it when I applied to the university I currently attend (the grad students have since then left), were heavily in chemistry and had very strong chemistry backgrounds. Also one of the professors in the physics department, who's research is on atmospheric physics, actually only has a degree in chemistry and not physics. So I am going to infer that their is a decent amount of chemistry involved there.

Both are interesting stuff, but they tend to be pushed to the side.

I don't know about the demand of chem in the other sections...maybe someone else can answer add more onto that.

cscott said:
rbj touched on what I think as well... I mean I've hardly taken any "real" chem but the resonance structures we're doing right now are borrrrinngg for me.
I am not sure how rigorous your study of resonance structures is, but if it is similar to the base level at which I learned it in IB-HL chem in high school, give chemistry a chance :wink:

Related to No Need to Fear Physics: Exploring Non-Chemistry Fields

1. What is the main purpose of "No Need to Fear Physics: Exploring Non-Chemistry Fields"?

The main purpose of this book is to help readers gain a better understanding of physics and its applications in non-chemistry fields such as biology, engineering, and environmental science.

2. Is this book suitable for someone with no prior knowledge of physics?

Yes, this book is designed for readers with little to no background in physics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon concepts to help readers understand and appreciate the subject.

3. What sets this book apart from other physics textbooks?

This book takes a more practical approach and focuses on the real-world applications of physics in various fields. It also includes interactive exercises and real-life examples to help readers grasp the concepts better.

4. Can this book be used as a reference for advanced physics topics?

No, this book is intended for readers who are new to physics or have a basic understanding of the subject. It does not cover advanced topics but serves as a good starting point for further exploration.

5. Is this book suitable for high school students?

Yes, this book is suitable for high school students who want to get a head start on understanding physics and its applications in different fields. It is written in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, making it accessible for students at this level.