No, No2 ?

• Thread starter jhirlo
  • Start date
I’m puzzled by these two oxides of nitrogen, especially with NO, how do they exist, what favors them?
If nitrogen has 1s2 2s2 2 px1 py1 pz1 configuration how or why does he form compound with only one oxygen atom ? Nitrogen has +1 oxidation number here right? So by what kind of connection they are connected, is there some kind of hybridization ? Generally the same question goes for other nitrogen compounds with even oxidation numbers.

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Unstable coumpound.Nitrogen has ON +2 in this monoxyde.It is highly reactive and usually,when exhausted in air,it forms the more stable NO_{2}.One can write several electronic structures,all of them equivalent (so-called Pauling mesomeric structures).

Daniel.

jhirlo said:
I’m puzzled by these two oxides of nitrogen, especially with NO, how do they exist, what favors them?
If nitrogen has 1s2 2s2 2 px1 py1 pz1 configuration how or why does he form compound with only one oxygen atom ? Nitrogen has +1 oxidation number here right? So by what kind of connection they are connected, is there some kind of hybridization ? Generally the same question goes for other nitrogen compounds with even oxidation numbers.
I asked my teacher a while ago and she said the maths behind it was awful and simply said it was known as the molecular orbital series.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving