1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No, No2 ?

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    I’m puzzled by these two oxides of nitrogen, especially with NO, how do they exist, what favors them?
    If nitrogen has 1s2 2s2 2 px1 py1 pz1 configuration how or why does he form compound with only one oxygen atom ? Nitrogen has +1 oxidation number here right? So by what kind of connection they are connected, is there some kind of hybridization ? Generally the same question goes for other nitrogen compounds with even oxidation numbers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unstable coumpound.Nitrogen has ON +2 in this monoxyde.It is highly reactive and usually,when exhausted in air,it forms the more stable NO_{2}.One can write several electronic structures,all of them equivalent (so-called Pauling mesomeric structures).

Daniel.

4. Jun 15, 2005 #3
    I asked my teacher a while ago and she said the maths behind it was awful and simply said it was known as the molecular orbital series.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?