Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No, No2 ?

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    I’m puzzled by these two oxides of nitrogen, especially with NO, how do they exist, what favors them?
    If nitrogen has 1s2 2s2 2 px1 py1 pz1 configuration how or why does he form compound with only one oxygen atom ? Nitrogen has +1 oxidation number here right? So by what kind of connection they are connected, is there some kind of hybridization ? Generally the same question goes for other nitrogen compounds with even oxidation numbers.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unstable coumpound.Nitrogen has ON +2 in this monoxyde.It is highly reactive and usually,when exhausted in air,it forms the more stable NO_{2}.One can write several electronic structures,all of them equivalent (so-called Pauling mesomeric structures).

4. Jun 15, 2005 #3
    I asked my teacher a while ago and she said the maths behind it was awful and simply said it was known as the molecular orbital series.

The Bob (2004 ©)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?