Real Solutions to Equations [2^x = 1+x^2 & 3^x+4^x+5^x = x^2]

• MHB
  • Thread starter juantheron
  • Start date
In summary, there are three real solutions for the equations given. The first solution is x = 1, found by inspection. The second solution, x > 4, can only be found numerically. Finally, for x < 0, there are no solutions. Using the derivative test, it can be determined that f(x) has at most 2 real solutions and f'(x) is concave upward, indicating a maximum at infinity but no minimum. Further analysis using the function f(x) = 2^x - 1 - x^2 is needed to find the remaining solutions.
juantheron
No. of real solution of the equations

[1]:: $2^x = 1+x^2$

[2]:: $3^x+4^x+5^x = x^2$

My Trail for solution::

[1] Let $f(x) = 2^x-1-x^2$. Here Clearly $x = 0$ and $x = 1$ are solution of Given equation. Now We will find any other solution exists OR not.

So we use Derivative Test

$f^{'}(x) = 2^x \cdot \ln(2) - 2x$ and $f^{''}(x) = 2^x \cdot (\ln(2))^2-2$ and $f^{'''}(x) = 2^x \cdot (\ln(2))^3 > 0\forall x\in \mathbb{R}$

So Here $f^{'}(x)$ is Concave Upward.(Means Max. at Infty. but no idea about min.)

So $f^{'}(x) $ has at most $2$ real solution.

Now I did not understand it after that

Help Required.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
No. of real solution of the equations

[2]:: $3^x+4^x+5^x = x^2$

My Trail for solution::

[1] Let $f(x) = 2^x-1-x^2$. Here Clearly $x = 0$ and $x = 1$ are solution of Given equation. Now We will find any other solution exists OR not.

So we use Derivative Test

$f^{'}(x) = 2^x \cdot \ln(2) - 2x$ and $f^{''}(x) = 2^x \cdot (\ln(2))^2-2$ and $f^{'''}(x) = 2^x \cdot (\ln(2))^3 > 0\forall x\in \mathbb{R}$

So Here $f^{'}(x)$ is Concave Upward.(Means Max. at Infty. but no idea about min.)

So $f^{'}(x) $ has at most $2$ real solution.

Now I did not understand it after that

Help Required.

Thanks

For the first one, just by inspection we can see that [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 1 \end{align*}[/tex] is a solution.

Now notice that if [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} f(x) = 1 + x^2 + 2^x \end{align*}[/tex], then [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} f'(x) = 2x + 2^x\ln{(2)} \end{align*}[/tex], which is obviously positive if [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} x > 0 \end{align*}[/tex], and since the function is increasing it can never get back to 0.

Also note that [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} 1 + x^2 \geq 1 \end{align*}[/tex] for all x, while [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} 2^x < 1 \end{align*}[/tex] for all [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} x < 0 \end{align*}[/tex], so there can't be any solutions if [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} x < 0 \end{align*}[/tex].

So that means there is only one solution, and it happens to be x = 1.

jacks said:

Prove It said:
So that means there is only one solution, and it happens to be x = 1.
Actually there are three real solutions...

-Dan

Edit: I should mention that the x > 4 solution has to be done numerically.

Attachments

• curve1.jpg
    curve1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, my derivative was incorrect, sorry :(

Prove It said:
Oops, my derivative was incorrect, sorry :(
It wasn't the derivative, but f(x) = 2^x - 1 - x^2. You said it was f(x) = 2^x + 1 + x^2. Easy enough to make the mistake.

-Dan

1. How do you solve equations with exponents?

To solve equations with exponents, you can use logarithms or take the natural log of both sides to bring the exponent down. Then, you can solve for the variable using algebraic manipulation.

2. Can you explain the concept of logarithms?

A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponent. It tells us what power we need to raise a specific base to in order to get a given number. In other words, if we have an equation in the form of b^x = y, the logarithm of y with base b is x.

3. How do you solve equations with multiple variables and exponents?

To solve equations with multiple variables and exponents, you can use substitution or elimination. First, isolate one variable on one side of the equation and then substitute it into the other equation. Then, solve for the remaining variable.

4. What is the difference between exponential and logarithmic equations?

An exponential equation has a variable in the exponent, while a logarithmic equation has a variable in the base. Exponential equations are solved by taking the natural log of both sides, while logarithmic equations are solved by raising the base to both sides.

5. Are there any special cases when solving equations with exponents?

Yes, there are a few special cases when solving equations with exponents. For example, if the base and exponent are both negative, the negative signs will cancel each other out. Also, if the base is 1, the solution will always be 0. Finally, if the base is 0, there will be no solution.