1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No of red fringe will be seen

1. Sep 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a Young's double slit experiment , blue monochromatic light of wavelength 450nm is used to illuminate the slits which are 0.60mm apart. A screen is placed 1.5m form the slit is used to catch the interfrence pattern .
    If red light is used (700nm) , how many red light will be seen? the ans is 7

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    dsinθ = m λ
    0.6x10^-3 ( sin 90 ) = m (700x10^-9)
    m = 857
    no fringe can be seen = 857+ 857+1 ..
    What's wrong with my working?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2
    where does sin(90) come from?

4. Sep 13, 2014 #3
    Sin90 beacuse I wamt to calculate themaximum order of fringes. Is my concept wrong?

5. Sep 13, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I would agree with you. Perhaps the question is meant to say something like "a 1 metre square screen is placed 1.5m from the slits".

Can you work backwards, and work out what screen dimension would show just 7 bands either side of the central maximum?

6. Sep 13, 2014 #5
    Do you meam the fringe is only formed on 1mm square of screen?

7. Sep 13, 2014 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

If you were wanting to see just the first order fringe, yes, that might be about right. But didn't you say the answer is n=7?

Could you check the question, and make sure you haven't got some detail wrong.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  8. Sep 13, 2014 #7
    How is the part about blue light relevant? It seems that the question is incomplete or mixed-up somehow.

9. Sep 13, 2014 #8
    that's the whole question i have typed above...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted