PowerPoint Not to Blame for Wars Mistakes

• News
  • Thread starter physics girl phd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of PowerPoint in the current wars and how it may contribute to mistakes. There is mention of a slide that is seen as confusing and the idea that the Taliban may use PowerPoint against the military. A quote from General Patton is also mentioned, stating that wars are not won by making PowerPoint presentations, but by making the enemy do them.
physics girl phd
No one is suggesting that PowerPoint is to blame for mistakes in the current wars, but...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/world/27powerpoint.html?hp"

I've never been fond of powerpoint. Now I have reasons. But isn't this slide fabulous?:
27powerpoint_CA0-articleLarge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

What's so confusing about this?

Pengwuino said:
What's so confusing about this?

I was wondering the same thing. I wonder what's the highest IQ of the higher military Officers..

Wait'l the Taliban sees this...

"Bill Gates is responsible for the current wars on Earth and I have a Powerpoint to prove it"

To paraphrase Gen G.S. Patton:
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by doing Power Point for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard do Power Point for his country."

1. What is the main argument of "PowerPoint Not to Blame for Wars Mistakes"?

The main argument of "PowerPoint Not to Blame for Wars Mistakes" is that the use of PowerPoint in military briefings should not be blamed for mistakes made during wars.

2. How does "PowerPoint Not to Blame for Wars Mistakes" support its argument?

The article supports its argument by providing examples of successful military operations that used PowerPoint, as well as pointing out that human error and inadequate decision-making, not PowerPoint, are the root causes of mistakes in wars.

3. Is the use of PowerPoint common in military briefings?

Yes, the use of PowerPoint is common in military briefings as it is an effective tool for presenting complex information in a concise and visually appealing manner.

4. Are there any potential downsides to using PowerPoint in military briefings?

While PowerPoint can be a helpful tool, some argue that it can lead to oversimplification and a lack of critical thinking in decision-making. Additionally, if not used properly, it can lead to confusion and miscommunication among military personnel.

5. Does "PowerPoint Not to Blame for Wars Mistakes" suggest any solutions or alternatives?

Yes, the article suggests that the real issue lies in improving the decision-making process and conducting thorough briefings, rather than blaming the use of PowerPoint. It also suggests using other tools such as hand-drawn maps or 3D simulations to supplement PowerPoint presentations.