No playback when using Cakewalk Overture

• Thread starter turin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the musical software Cakewalk Overture on a Dell Inspiron 3800 Laptop. The program asks for a MIDI output device, but the list is empty, causing the user to continue with no MIDI output. This makes composing difficult as the user has to export to a *.mid file to hear their work. The conversation also includes a suggestion to turn off all MIDI devices in the options panel.
turin
Homework Helper
Is anyone familiar with the musical software Cakewalk Overture? I have it installed on a Dell Inspiron 3800 Laptop. When I invoke the program, it pops up with a dialog that asks for me to choose a MIDI output device (I'm guessing that this is a sound card) from a list, but the list is empty. So I always end up "continuing with no midi output selected." This makes composing a real pain, as I am then required to export to a *.mid file in order to hear what I have written. The *.mid file plays, so I don't understand why Overture can't find any midi output devices (i.e. I obviously have a sound card if the *.mid file plays, right?). Any suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
cakewalk xp

Hello,

I have the same problem (exactly!). Did you find a solution since 2004?
I think Overture 2. doesn't work correctly with Xp (win98 max).

My first language is French (Belgium)
bye.
Olivier.

turin said:
Is anyone familiar with the musical software Cakewalk Overture? I have it installed on a Dell Inspiron 3800 Laptop. When I invoke the program, it pops up with a dialog that asks for me to choose a MIDI output device (I'm guessing that this is a sound card) from a list, but the list is empty. So I always end up "continuing with no midi output selected." This makes composing a real pain, as I am then required to export to a *.mid file in order to hear what I have written. The *.mid file plays, so I don't understand why Overture can't find any midi output devices (i.e. I obviously have a sound card if the *.mid file plays, right?). Any suggestions?

i think i know what your problem is...I use the software guitar track pro because i compose and record my stuff on to it, i have it installed on my laptop too...you have to turn all midi devices off unless you are using a midi device...A midi device is a device that is used to export store and even add effects, so it has nothing to do with your sound card.Your sound card is inside your computer...Look for the options panel and turn off all your midi devices...Then you should be all good...

Cheers
PJ

1. Why am I not getting any sound when using Cakewalk Overture?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure that your audio device is properly connected and selected in the Cakewalk Overture preferences. Additionally, check that your speakers or headphones are working and properly connected to your computer. If these steps do not solve the issue, it is possible that your project is set to a low volume level or muted. You can adjust the volume and mute settings in the mixer window.

2. I have sound in other programs, but not in Cakewalk Overture. What could be the problem?

This could be due to the audio drivers used by Cakewalk Overture. Make sure that you have the latest version of your audio drivers installed and configured correctly. You can also try changing the audio driver in the Cakewalk Overture preferences.

3. Is there a specific format of audio files that Cakewalk Overture supports?

Yes, Cakewalk Overture supports various audio formats such as WAV, MP3, AIFF, and more. However, it is always recommended to use high-quality audio files to ensure the best sound quality in your projects.

4. How can I troubleshoot if I am still not getting any sound in Cakewalk Overture?

If you have checked all the previous troubleshooting steps and still have no sound, try creating a new project and adding a simple audio track to test if there is an issue with the project itself. You can also try resetting the audio preferences in Cakewalk Overture or reinstalling the software.

5. Can I use virtual instruments in Cakewalk Overture to create music without external devices?

Yes, Cakewalk Overture has a variety of built-in virtual instruments that you can use to create music without any external devices. These include drums, keyboards, guitars, and more. You can access these instruments in the browser window and add them to your project as MIDI tracks.