Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No shower month.

1. May 2, 2005 #1
    what is the record number of days, weeks you lasted without taking bath, shower ?
    i'm in my second week of staying "natural" :cool:

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2005 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

uhh.. i woulda outdone you on this, but I finally found the time to have one yesterday

and btw, that whole popular myth that you'll stink after not having a shower for days is b.s.

4. May 2, 2005 #3
    so...how long you have managed ? tell me.

5. May 2, 2005 #4
    3 days probably.

6. May 2, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I sure smell after not showing for a few days :|. Maybe its my clothes.

7. May 2, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A few days? I smell if I don't shower after one day! Not to mention I just feel icky!

With the exception of reasons including going camping, being lost in the wilderness, or illness, anyone who answers more than one day is officially off my list of potential dates. :tongue2: :yuck:

8. May 2, 2005 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems that not everyone abhors stinkiness. I am reminded of a little trivia from some French history I've been reading:

It is said that while campaigning in Egypt, Napolean once wrote to his beloved Josephine back in France, "Ne te lave pas. J'arrive." ("Don't wash. I am coming.")

9. May 2, 2005 #8
    Yeah, that's the big thing for me. Even if i don't smell, I feel gross if i don't shower. Now, there are times when this doesn't matter(dry camping with horses comes to mind) because there is no staying clean anyway. But under normal circumstances i can't stand not bathing.

Agreed.

10. May 2, 2005 #9
    when i was kid we at home use to take shower just once a week on saturday evening. my mother gave us fresh pyjamas, she prepared also fresh bed covers. Man ! it felt so nice. my parents are still like that to this very day.

11. May 2, 2005 #10
    I have maybe gone three days, not recently though. The main reason I need to take a shower every day is because of my hair. My long beautiful locks cannot go a day without being washed :smile:

12. May 2, 2005 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I just took my annual shower. :uhh:

13. May 2, 2005 #12
    Yeah well when you're a kid you don't sweat like you do after puberty. If the temperature breaks 80 degrees, I'll not be smelling pretty without bathing.

14. May 2, 2005 #13
    I like that attitude, the popular idea of having to shower every day is just pathetic (unless you are particularly sweaty), not to mention the amounts of fresh drinking water that is spoiled this way.

This is a nice example of the whole thing just being a hoax.

15. May 2, 2005 #14

JamesU

Gold Member

the longest i've managed is 8 days. And no I did not smell

16. May 2, 2005 #15
    What a strange topic.

I feel just nasty if I go more than one day without showering. I don't have much hair, but my face feels all oily. I atleast have to wash my hands and face even if I am camping or sick. The armpits too. I don't walk around with cologne and anti-perspirant on all the time, but there is something about old armpit sweat that is very pervasive. I like to wash my hands after I use the bathroom and usually before I eat also.

17. May 2, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know, once you've gotten past being an infant, kids sure do manage to get into a lot of dirt. I think the last time I went more than two days without a shower (more like 36 hours at most if I'm working in barns with no hope of staying clean, but boy does a shower feel wonderful at the end of that) was as a kid in the summer when we'd spend the whole day swimming. Mom reasoned that we were in water all day, so we didn't really need a shower other than a quick rinse to get the chlorine off. But otherwise, we might not smell bad, but we sure were filthy by the end of the day.

18. May 2, 2005 #17
    right now i'm not working so i stay whole days at home in front of computer that is why i don't have to take shower. everything is going according to my
    "no shower month" plan, one problem though - my feet stink really bad so i'm forced to washed them in sink everyday.

19. May 2, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good, you're still on my list. :biggrin: I don't like cologne or perfume, so to me, clean soap smell is the best scent to have.

20. May 2, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you ask anyone else who had to be in the same room with you? Or was this before you went through puberty?

21. May 2, 2005 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like to soak in hot bubble baths. They help me unwind while I am getting clean. I'm a sucker for all those foo-foo bath treatments, facial packs, and fragrant shower gels. I just love things that smell good.
    I love scented lotions, too. I just noticed I have three different kinds on my nightstand: gardenia, sandalwood rose, and Samsara. I guess I am just a little sissy foofy girly-girl!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?