1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No slip condition

1. Jun 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i was told that

For a given fluid the velocity of fluid in contact with with solid boundary is equal to the velocity of solid boundary in a book . In another book , I was told that the velocity of fluid at the solid boundary is 0 , which is correct ? can someone explain ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    imo , the first one is wrong , the second statement is correct , am i right ? can someone expalin pls?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Taken at face value the first statement allows for the solid boundary to be moving and the second statement assumes that it is not moving . In either case the velocity of the fluid in contact with the solid boundary is zero relative to the boundary .

We really need to see the actual text from the books though to be certain about what is being said about this .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted