No Sound out of Windows 8.1 PC

In summary, the problem is that there is no sound coming out of the laptop. The user has tried updating all the drivers, and has also tried the test function in Speaker Properties >> Advanced. If the problem persists, the user might want to call a technician under their warranty plan.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am having a problem: no sound coming out of my Windows 8.1 laptop. I updated all the drivers from the
audio inputs ; I got the message that the existing drivers were up-to-date, but still no sound coming out and that all sound-related devices are working correctly.

Thanks for any advice.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes, and it made a sound. Strange thing is yesterday night there was no problem with the sound at all.

I have a desktop with 8.1, so this might not apply to you...

If you click the speaker icon, do you get something that looks kind of like this?

Sprakers.JPG

Or, in the Device Manager, something like this without any yellow flags... after you've scanned for hardware changes?
Device Manager.JPG

If everything kinda looks like the pictures... I don't know what might be the problem... :oldfrown:

Thanks both, now there is some sound but kind of low in volume even when the level is max. But I was warned Windows is Plug and Pray. Interesting that a video in you Tube about working with RealTek ... has no subtitles, and the instructions are partly spoken.

Yes it is a new laptop, but I don't know enough about computers to tell about the hardware.

Follow-up: Sound was working perfectly a few days back, and back to no sound now. Checked Sysinternal's Process Explorer (an actually worthwhile version of the task manager) and
noticed that the associated thread was making no use of the CPU, i.e., th CPU use graph is completely flat. Can I somehow use
autorun to get a better understanding?

I also checked the drivers for realtek and there was one , 'GENERICDRV' listed as "not found".

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Follow-up: Sound was working perfectly a few days back, and back to no sound now.

#1 check you haven't pressed a mute button by accident.

#2 if you're using headphones try another pair just in case it's an intermittent connection fault

NB: new computers have a TRRS connector , you'll need an adapter [~$5] to use headphones which have standard TRS connector on such computers.

[ If all else fails do a "system restore" to a date before the problem occurred ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_restore ]

Last edited:

1. Why is there no sound coming out of my Windows 8.1 PC?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty or disconnected audio cable, incorrect audio settings, outdated or corrupted audio drivers, or a hardware malfunction. To troubleshoot, try checking all the connections, adjusting audio settings, updating drivers, and testing the audio with different devices or software.

2. How do I fix the no sound problem on my Windows 8.1 PC?

The solution may vary depending on the specific cause of the issue. Some steps you can take to try and fix the problem include restarting your PC, checking for updates, running the audio troubleshooter, manually updating audio drivers, and checking for hardware malfunctions. If none of these solutions work, it may be necessary to seek professional help.

3. Can a virus cause no sound on a Windows 8.1 PC?

It is possible for a virus or malware to cause audio problems on a PC, but it is not a common occurrence. If you suspect that a virus may be causing the issue, it is recommended to run a full virus scan using a reputable antivirus software.

4. Why is there no sound in certain applications on my Windows 8.1 PC?

This could be due to the audio settings in the specific application. Make sure the volume is turned up and the correct audio output is selected within the application. It could also be caused by outdated or corrupted audio drivers, so it is recommended to update them if possible.

5. How do I prevent the no sound issue from happening again on my Windows 8.1 PC?

To prevent this issue from occurring in the future, it is important to regularly update your audio drivers and make sure all software and applications are up to date. It is also a good idea to regularly check the connections and settings for your audio devices. If you continue to experience sound problems, it may be necessary to replace or upgrade your hardware.