How Does Closing a Switch Affect Capacitors and Resistors in a Circuit?

• Thread starter Clever-Name
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: DIn summary, the circuit shown has two capacitors in series with a resistor. At time t=0, the switch is closed and the initially charged capacitor, C1, discharges while the uncharged capacitor, C2, charges. The voltage across C1 at a much later time is equal to the initial voltage of C1 divided by the sum of C1 and C2. The energy stored in C1 and C2 before closing the switch can be calculated using the formula U = CV^2/2, while the energy stored in C1 and C2 after closing the switch can be calculated using the formula U = QV/2. The power dissipated in the resistor can be derived as
Clever-Name

Homework Statement

In the circuit show below, C1 = 5 microfarads, C2 = 10 microfarads and R = 1000 ohms. Initially, the switch is open, C1 is charged to 20 volts, and C2 is uncharged. At time t=0 the switch is closed.
(a) Calculate the voltage across C1 at a much later time. Hint: consider charge conservation.
(b) The energy stored in a charged capacitor is given by U = CV2/2. Calculate the energy stored in C1 and C2 before and after closing the switch.
(c) Derive an expression for the power dissipated in R as a function of time for t>0.
(d) Integrate your expression from (c) to find the total energy dissipated by R. Compare with your answer from (b).

*see attachment for image of circuit*

Homework Equations

[itex] \frac{1}{C_{eq}} = \frac{1}{C_{1}} + \frac{1}{C_2}[/itex]

[itex] U = \frac{1}{2}CV^{2} [/itex]

[itex] P = I^{2}R [/itex]

[itex] Q = CV[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [itex] Q = C_{1}V = 100{\mu}F [/itex]
I initially tried adding the capacitances in series but wound up with 30V as my answer, so i figured that must be wrong (how can the voltage go up? :S) So then I did this:

[itex] V = \frac{Q}{C_{1} + C_{2}} = \frac{100{\mu}F}{15{\mu}F} = 6.67V[/itex]

That's 6.67 V across both capacitors, therefore 6.67 across C1

b) Assuming my answer from a is right:

[itex] U_{1}_{i} = \frac{1}{2}CV^{2} = 0.001 J [/itex]
[itex] U_{1}_{f} = 1.11 {\times} 10^{-4} J [/itex]
[itex]U_{2}_{i} = 0[/itex]
[itex]U_{2}_f} = 2.22 {\times} 10^{-4} J[/itex]

c) Here's where I get confused, I honestly have no clue where to start. I've never dealt with a circuit like this before, so I don't know how to set up KVL or KCL to solve for a time-varying current or voltage.

Help please!

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    552 bytes · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
When all is said and done, you've got an RC circuit. So it'll have a time constant. The effective capacitance will be C1 and C2 in series.

Can you figure out the time constant? How about the current with respect to time? What's the initial current?

[itex] {\tau} = RC_{eq} = (1000{\Omega})(3.33333 \times 10^-6 F) = 3.333 \times 10^-4 [/itex]

Finding the current is what confuses me. The input source of 20V is not a constant 20V source. Do I just consider it to be a battery source of 20V and then lump the capacitors together? i.e

[itex] 20V - iR - \frac{Q}{C_{eq}} = 0 [/itex]

??

Last edited:
The trick to dealing with RC or LC circuits that aren't being driven by a changing source (such as a varying supply voltage like a sinewave) is to realize that their voltage and current waveforms always follow an exponential function. If you can pin down their starting and ending values, you can write an expression for the whole thing.

In this case the initial current when the switch is closed will be 20V/R, since C2 is initially at zero volts and "looks" like a short. Since we expect the current to eventually die down to zero, we can write:

[tex]I(t) = \frac{20V}{R}e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}[/tex]

If its decaying from one level to another (such as the voltage across C1 going from 20V down to 6.67V as in this problem) then you've got an expression like:

[tex]V(t) = V_0 - (V_0 - V_f)e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}[/tex]

It makes life easier if you can spot these cases and just write down the formula without fiddling about with differential equations.

As for the initially charged capacitor, yes, you can represent it as an uncharged capacitor of the same value in series with a constant voltage supply of the same voltage as the initial voltage on the capacitor.

Clever-Name said:

Homework Statement

In the circuit show below, C1 = 5 microfarads, C2 = 10 microfarads and R = 1000 ohms. Initially, the switch is open, C1 is charged to 20 volts, and C2 is uncharged. At time t=0 the switch is closed.
(a) Calculate the voltage across C1 at a much later time. Hint: consider charge conservation.
(b) The energy stored in a charged capacitor is given by U = CV2/2. Calculate the energy stored in C1 and C2 before and after closing the switch.
(c) Derive an expression for the power dissipated in R as a function of time for t>0.
(d) Integrate your expression from (c) to find the total energy dissipated by R. Compare with your answer from (b).

*see attachment for image of circuit*

Homework Equations

[itex] \frac{1}{C_{eq}} = \frac{1}{C_{1}} + \frac{1}{C_2}[/itex]

[itex] U = \frac{1}{2}CV^{2} [/itex]

[itex] P = I^{2}R [/itex]

[itex] Q = CV[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [itex] Q = C_{1}V = 100{\mu}F [/itex]
Q is charge, so the units should be [tex]\mu C[/tex]
I initially tried adding the capacitances in series but wound up with 30V as my answer, so i figured that must be wrong (how can the voltage go up? :S) So then I did this:

[itex] V = \frac{Q}{C_{1} + C_{2}} = \frac{100{\mu}F}{15{\mu}F} = 6.67V[/itex]
Why does this formula work when C1 & C2 are in series, not parallel?

Let Q1 be the charge on C1 at the much later time. Then the charge on C2 becomes Q-Q1.

[tex]V_1=V_2\quad\rightarrow\quad \frac{Q_1}{C_1}=\frac{Q-Q_1}{C_2}\quad\rightarrow\quad Q_1\frac{C_1+C_2}{C_1C_2}=\frac{Q}{C_2}
\quad\rightarrow\quad Q_1=\frac{Q\,C_1}{C_1+C_2}
\quad\rightarrow\quad V_1=\frac{Q_1}{C_1}=\frac{Q}{C_1+C_2}[/tex]

b) Assuming my answer from a is right:

[itex] U_{1}_{i} = \frac{1}{2}CV^{2} = 0.001 J [/itex]
[itex] U_{1}_{f} = 1.11 {\times} 10^{-4} J [/itex]
[itex]U_{2}_{i} = 0[/itex]
[itex]U_{2}_f} = 2.22 {\times} 10^{-4} J[/itex]

c) Here's where I get confused, I honestly have no clue where to start. I've never dealt with a circuit like this before, so I don't know how to set up KVL or KCL to solve for a time-varying current or voltage.

Help please!

Last edited:
Ahhhh it makes so much more sense now, I was so convinced that my assumption of the first capacitor being the same as a voltage supply was completely wrong and that I couldn't use it. Good to know that works.

I followed through with the rest of the calculations and got the power disspated to be the energy loss from part b, so I'm quite satisfied with my answer now.

Thank you very much for your help!

edit - Sammy, thanks for the input! The F is just a typo, lol, i realize charge is C.

1. What is a no-source C-R-C circuit?

A no-source C-R-C circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a capacitor (C), a resistor (R), and a capacitor (C) in a series without any external voltage source. It is also known as a passive circuit because it does not have a power source.

2. How does a no-source C-R-C circuit work?

A no-source C-R-C circuit works by storing energy in the capacitors. When the circuit is first connected, the capacitors will charge up to the same voltage as the power source. As the circuit discharges, the capacitors will release the stored energy, causing the current to flow through the resistor. This creates an oscillation of charging and discharging of the capacitors, resulting in a changing voltage and current in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a no-source C-R-C circuit?

A no-source C-R-C circuit is commonly used in electronic filters to block certain frequencies and allow others to pass through. It can also be used in electronic oscillators to generate a continuous signal without the need for an external power source.

4. What are the advantages of a no-source C-R-C circuit?

One of the main advantages of a no-source C-R-C circuit is its simplicity. It only requires three components and does not need an external power source, making it cost-effective and easy to design. Additionally, it can be used in a variety of applications, such as filters and oscillators.

5. What are the limitations of a no-source C-R-C circuit?

One limitation of a no-source C-R-C circuit is that it is sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity, which can affect the performance of the capacitors. It also has a limited frequency range and is not suitable for high-frequency applications. Additionally, the output voltage may decrease over time as the capacitors discharge, which can impact the circuit's overall performance.