What are the products of combining potassium hydroxide and dodecanedioic acid?

• Thread starter r&dchem
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of potassium hydroxide and dodecanedioic acid and potential products that could be formed. It is mentioned that dodecanedioic acid could become a dicarboxylic acid or a potassium or dipotassium salt. However, there is difficulty in finding CAS numbers for these species. The conversation also touches on the importance of having a CAS number for a substance to be considered real. Finally, it is suggested that potassium dodecanoate could be a potential product, with a readily available CAS number of 10124-65-9.
r&dchem
Hi,

I have a solution that contains potassium hydroxide and dodecanedioic acid. I am trying to figure out what my products will be but I can't seem to find anything real that dodecanedioic acid would become.

Any insights?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A dodecanedioate.

This is just a dicarboxylic acid.

Which would mean it would be either dodecanedioic acid, potassium salt or dodecanedioic acid, dipotassium salt. I cannot find CAS numbers for either of these species. In order to use either of those for my purpose I need to have a CAS number.

So it's not real if it doesn't have a CAS number, now?

alxm said:
So it's not real if it doesn't have a CAS number, now?

Exactly my thoughts, I just spared r&d that comment :rofl:

...would be a soap.

potassium dodecanoate, a soap.

Dodecanodioate, potassium dodecanoate has a relatively easy to find CAS number (10124-65-9).

1. What is "No Such Neutralization"?

"No Such Neutralization" is a concept in science that refers to the inability of an acid and a base to completely cancel each other out in a chemical reaction. This means that there will always be some leftover acid or base present after the reaction is complete.

2. How does "No Such Neutralization" occur?

"No Such Neutralization" occurs when the concentrations of the acid and base are not exactly equal, or if the acid or base is not strong enough to completely neutralize the other. This can also happen if there are other factors, such as temperature or impurities, that affect the reaction.

3. Can "No Such Neutralization" be prevented?

In most cases, "No Such Neutralization" cannot be prevented because it is a natural occurrence in chemical reactions. However, by carefully controlling the concentrations and strengths of the acid and base, the amount of leftover acid or base can be minimized.

4. What are the implications of "No Such Neutralization"?

The presence of leftover acid or base can have significant implications in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and environmental science. It can affect the potency and effectiveness of medications, alter the taste and quality of food and drinks, and impact the pH levels of soil and water.

5. How is "No Such Neutralization" relevant in everyday life?

"No Such Neutralization" is relevant in everyday life because it explains why some reactions, such as using vinegar to clean up a baking soda spill, may not completely eliminate the odor. It also highlights the importance of carefully measuring and mixing chemicals, especially in household cleaning products and personal care items.