No topology sub-forum?

1. Why not? Does topics on it go under general maths?

2. jcsd
  3. Topology related threads have usually not been moved away from the Calculus & Analysis section, at least.

4. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think Topology should have a heading somewhere. I never actually know where to post it. General Math? Calculus and Analyis? Or Linear and Abstract Algebra?

I was thinking that we should rename the headlines as...

General Math
    Calculus and Differential Equations
    Analysis and Topology
    Linear and Abstract Algebra
    ...and so on...

5. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,266
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hope some other math folks will chime in on this. Basically, you're suggesting we just rearrange two math subforums...instead of having Calculus and Analysis as one subforum, and Differential Equations as another, you're suggesting Analysis be split off from Calculus and combined with Topology, and Diff Eqs be combined with Calculus.

So, I have a few questions, because I'm not a math person and can't just skim through those forums myself to get a sense of this...
    Are there currently enough Analysis questions in the Calc and Analysis forum to justify moving them off on their own? From previous discussion, we don't get enough topology questions to sustain a forum, so Analysis would have to be a sufficiently popular discussion topic to justify that split.

Also, does it make sense in terms of the subject matter to combine Analysis and Topology? Or is this more of lumping together two topics for convenience of enough posts to justify a separate forum?

I can see the logic in combining Calc and Diff Eqs, but from a practical, forum management perspective, are these both subjects with enough questions that it would be overwhelming to have a single forum with them combined?

Before we start jumping in and rearranging forums, I think these are the questions that need to be considered.

In the meantime, without having asked Halls or Hurkyl (they'd be the ones to specifically ask), my general impression is that using your best judgement of where a topic that's not specifically listed fits will probably be okay. At worst, they'll move it to a different subforum and you'll know where to put it next time. It would probably be safest to put it in general math, but you could also post it, send them a link to the post by PM and let them know you weren't sure where to place it and if they think it fits better elsewhere, to move it for you.

6. morphism

morphism 2,020
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Topology & Analysis is a valid combination; so is Topology & Geometry. So a simple renaming of the Geometry subforum would be the easier solution. Although (sadly), there isn't much topology that gets discussed. The Ask A Topologist forum is much more active, although it's plagued with boring homework problems (and the posters do not show any work, so one is less inclined to help them), and it's somewhat of an eyesore.

Another unrelated question, but one I've wondered about for quite some time, is: why are logic, set theory, statistics and probability all clumped up together? The first two are reasonably detached from the other two. :p

7. Chris Hillman

Chris Hillman 2,334
    Science Advisor

Oh, a chance to classify mathematics!

Due to popular interest in physics, there are too many posts related to differential geometry, so I suggest two headings be "Topology & Analysis", "Manifolds and Geometry", and hope that students with a general topology question will head to the first, while students with a question about de Rham cohomology will head to the second :wink:

There are existing subject classifications in mathematics, e.g at the arXiv, AMS Subject Classification, etc., but AFAIK no-one is happy with any of them :rolleyes: However, I would stress that good classifications should try to conform to the expected population of submissions. In particular, the topics of PF posts are weighted very different from those of arXiv eprints.

Coming at the same point from a different direction: "Topology & Analysis" covers a lot of ground, but based upon what I've seen at PF, questions in this area are under-represented wrt the importance and breadth of these areas, so such a heading might be appropriate at PF.

No matter what headings one comes up with, newbies will be confused since many questions overlap (there are so many interconnections in mathematics!). Still, one can hope by judicious terminology to minimize gross misplacement of threads. I might make some specific recommendations after I've had a chance to think it over. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of mathwonk and Matt Grime as well!

OTH, why wait? Here are my initial suggestions, based upon very little thought (!):
    • rename "Linear & Abstract Algebra" as "Linear and Modern Algebra" (the latter embraces groups, rings, fields, group actions, and many other topics which are rarely the subject of PF posts--- such as tensor algebra; questions about the latter would probably be misplaced in the next but they are rare so this would be tolerable),
    • rename "Tensor Analysis & Differential Geometry" as "Manifolds and Geometry" (theory of manifolds is usually taken to embrace calculus on manifolds, aka exterior calculus, and differential geometry is founded in part upon tensor calculus),
    • keep "Differential Equations" (well-defined area which gets a lot of traffic), or rename it "Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems" (this might induce newbies with a question about ergodic theory to put their post here instead of in "Topology and Analysis", but that might be acceptable and even more or less valid),
    • rename "Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics" as "Probability Theory and Statistics",
    • rename "Number Theory" as "Combinatorics, Graphs, and Number Theory" (number theory gets too much traffic; there are two few questions about graphs and combinatorics, but combinatorics and graph theory are often taught as one course and often with some number theory tossed into the mix),
    • rename "General Math" as "Foundations" (embraces mathematical logic, set theory and some category theory),
    • split "Calculus and Analysis" into "Topology and Analysis" and, wince wince, "Calculus and All Other Math" (many questions in calculus should probably go to "Homework Help" but that notice could be a sticky).
    Some kind of "grab bag" seems neccessary, and since Calculus probably attracts the greatest number of frantic newbies...

COI notice: I have an obvious interest in promoting dynamical systems, but I resisted the urge to propose a new forum just for that subject, since I acknowlege that despite its importance it attracts few questions at PF. I can't help predicting that if we renamed "Differential Equations" as "Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems", questions about dynamical systems might in fact appear more often, which would probably be a good thing! IOW, I predict that to some extent changing forum names at PF might actually noticeably change the nature of the traffic!

As a random test, suppose someone hears that the Szemeredi Lemma is the most important result in all of mathematics; where would he inquire about that? Depending upon the context in which he has encountered it, his post could go to "Combinatorics, Graphs, and Number Theory" or "Probability Theory and Statistics" or "Topology and Analysis". Which illustrates the near impossibility of creating any entirely satisfactory classification. Still, my initial feeling is that the categories I tenatively proposed above correspond fairly well to PF traffic over the past year.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  8. Integral

Integral 7,346
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chris,
    Thanks for your input. I like your suggestions and would support the changes you propose, inculding the addition of "dynamical systems" to the DE forum title.

9. Chris Hillman

Chris Hillman 2,334
    Science Advisor

Thanks, Integral! :smile:

I think it's possible that some newbies who are confused about where to place their question may wind up not posting at all :frown: That's what I was getting at when I suggested that improving the index might improve traffic.

Another thought occurs: I suspect that the lurkers least likely to post are the cautious thoughtful types who know their own limitations and who don't like to say anything which might prove wrong or even foolish. I sometimes get the impression that the n00bs most likely to delurk are too young/inexperienced/manic to read good responses with sufficient care (given that quite a few simple questions turn out to involve subtle mathematical issues.) If so, I doubt there is any cure for this "self-selection phenomenon".

10. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like Chris's layout too although I think "General" Math should remain and not changed to "Foundations".

11. Chris Hillman

Chris Hillman 2,334
    Science Advisor

Jason and I had some further pertinent comments in another thread; see [post=1503282]this post[/post] and my reply.

Moonbear, I have been too lazy to PM mathwonk or Matt Grime but I recommend seeking there input too. I think renaming/reorganizing is probably a good idea, but only after input from these knowledgeable and experienced (at PF) mathematicians.

12. Eventhough Topology and Analysis are similar I consider them seperate. I would put Topology under Geometry section.

13. Chris Hillman

Chris Hillman 2,334
    Science Advisor

Your honors, I object!
    • Most students first encounter topology in a general topology course, which typically focus on constructions whcih are useful in analysis. This is the most likely source of questions from newbies on topology.
    • Topological issues are very important in analysis.
    • Topological issues are also very important in geometry (which is currently usually understood to encompass the theory of manifolds, differential geometry, vector bundles, and related constructions), but students who know enough to have questions about de Rham cohomology will, I hope, see that their post should go in the proposed "Geometry" forum.
    But as Kummer's comment shows, mathematics is far too varied and interconnected to succumb gracefully to any attempt to categorize its body parts.

14. Chris Hillman

Chris Hillman 2,334
    Science Advisor

Another PF user independently (?) suggests reorganizing math forums at PF

Ehrenfest has posted some new comments which I think should be moved to this thread [post=1510174]here[/post] (see also subsequent discussion).

15. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But Topology needs to be put somewhere. The topic is a very large topic.

It's still surprising that Topology isn't listed anywhere yet.

16. Chris Hillman

Chris Hillman 2,334
    Science Advisor

I asked the moderators to combine the three threads to no avail, but to repeat what I wrote above and in one of the other threads:

So I tentatively proposed "Topology and Analysis". See also my comments in the other threads, where I argued against "Topology and Geometry". And sorry for the three threads but it's not my fault--- I tried! Note that, as it happens, my proposal would also address the issue raised by Ehrenfest.

17. Weyl said the angel of topology and the devil of algebra fights for the heart and soul of every branch of mathematics. So topology must be big to say the least.

18. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where do you get all these little fun facts?

19. Chris Hillman

Chris Hillman 2,334
    Science Advisor

20. mathwonk

mathwonk 9,690
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i don't really mind if forums are organized based on frequency of posting, but logially it is nonsense. i.e. a separate topic should logically remain mathematically separate even if it is unpopular. i.e. this is aNOTHER INSTANCE OF BUREAUCRacy dictating scientific reality.

but i can live with it. we are dependent on the existence of the forum and someone has to do the grunt work.

21. The opening quote to Micheal Artin's 'Algebra' book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?