The IBM CPU that goes in the G5 won against the Pentium 4

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary, the G5 processor that won CPU of the year is a 64 bit processor that has cache with error correction. It seems highly paralelized and low power.
Dagenais
http://www.mdronline.com/events/dinner/

The IBM CPU that goes in the G5 won against the Pentium 4 and 64-bit from AMD?

How can that be!?

It takes 2 of those CPUs to even draw a fair comparison against a single Intel or AMD CPU.

[?]

Computer science news on Phys.org
That is kinda funny. Here are some benchmarks that show how a dual g5 comparies to a one processor athlon 64 and a one processor opteron:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,8,00.asp

Originally posted by dduardo
That is kinda funny. Here are some benchmarks that show how a dual g5 comparies to a one processor athlon 64 and a one processor opteron:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,8,00.asp

Yeah, I own a Mac so I go to Mac forums sometimes.

They were talking about how the G5 won CPU of the year, and I was astonished.

PC Magazine awarded the Opeteron and 64-bit AMD CPU of the year (much more logical).

They say the PC World benchmarks are biased, despite the real-world approach to them.

I don't really get how the G5 won. Someone please explain it to me.

You know there is more in this world than AMD and Intel processors. I know specialized DSPs that can process voice or image faster than any general purpose processor. Just because Intel and AMD have the largest processor market share doesn't mean everything they make is the best this universe has witnessed yet.
As for the G5 processor (http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/processors/ [Broken]) he's a 64 bit processor (there are not many 64 bit processors today), it has cache with error correction (that's not performance boosting but it's a nice feature), and seems highly paralelized and low power from what I read so far...
You can take a look at the address above and if I have time I'll try to find some specs from whatever AMD and Intel you think can beat this processor and then we'll see if it's true...

Last edited by a moderator:
The G5 that is used at the convention is not the one in apples computers btw as far as the links to the benchmarks. the FX is much better and will start to be shipped in the xserves. Anyway the FX that was tested isn't the same and there for is probably why it won, mainly probably due to the fact that the process of the cpu is now a 90 nm and not a 130 nm, you should look at the white papers/briefs about both cpus to see the hard differences in both chips.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the significance of the IBM CPU in the G5 beating the Pentium 4?

The IBM CPU in the G5 was able to outperform the Pentium 4 in terms of speed and efficiency. This was a major advancement in the world of computer processors and solidified IBM's position as a major player in the market.

How did the IBM CPU in the G5 achieve this victory?

The IBM CPU in the G5 utilized a combination of innovative technologies such as a high-speed system bus, powerful vector processing capabilities, and a large cache size. These features allowed the G5 to deliver superior performance compared to the Pentium 4.

What impact did this victory have on the computer industry?

The victory of the IBM CPU in the G5 over the Pentium 4 sparked intense competition among computer manufacturers and pushed them to constantly innovate and improve their processors. This ultimately led to faster and more efficient computers for consumers.

Were there any limitations or drawbacks to the IBM CPU in the G5?

While the IBM CPU in the G5 was a major step forward in terms of performance, it did have some limitations. It was not compatible with certain software and operating systems, which limited its use in certain industries and markets.

Is the IBM CPU in the G5 still relevant today?

The IBM CPU in the G5 may not be as widely used today as it was in the early 2000s, but its impact on the computer industry is still felt. Many of its advanced features and technologies have been integrated into modern processors, making the G5 a significant milestone in the history of computer processing.