Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nobel Prize 2013

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    I didnt find a thread here on the subject so I thought i would create one.

The medicine prizes are out its 2 americans and a german for discovering how cells transport nutrients/information. the swedish professor explaining seemed very excited and made it sound very vital.
    Any predictions on the other prizes? Chemistry? Physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2
    Not Higgs. :)

4. Oct 8, 2013 #3
    well he got it. i didnt know the higgs boson was proven i thought it was still undecided.
    so many people were behind this discovery its weird that only 2 got it and how do you pick which ones deserve it?

5. Oct 8, 2013 #4
    They gave it to Higgs and Englert because they were the first to derive equations from which the hypothesis of the Higgs boson followed. Englert (and Brout) was actually first. Brout died in 2011 otherwise there were 3 laureates I suppose.
    Another rule is that maximally 3 persons can share the price. That's why the prize is attributed to the discoverers. Although there was a third group that produced nearly simultaneous analogous results Gerald Guralnik, Carl Hagen, and Tom Kibble.
    The timeline of publications was august, october and november. Would've been nice to see the third group get some credit as well.

6. Oct 8, 2013 #5
    that was a shocker today! :tongue:

7. Oct 8, 2013 #6
    I think the decision was rushed because they wanted to get the award out before someone died, honestly.

8. Oct 8, 2013 #7

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Anderson got there first...

In an article published in 1963 in the Physical Review:
    What Philip Anderson realized and worked out in the summer of 1962 was that, when you have both gauge symmetry and spontaneous symmetry breaking, the Nambu-Goldstone massless mode can combine with the massless gauge field modes to produce a physical massive vector field.

Recall that Higgs himself discovered the boson with his name in 1964...

Perhaps it should have been Anderson-Higgs-Englert?

9. Oct 8, 2013 #8

atyy

Science Advisor

Anderson's deserving but he already got the prize.

GHK next year:) Or maybe George Zweig.

10. Oct 8, 2013 #9

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

That didn't stop the '72 prize to go to Bardeen after he already had one for his invention of the transistor.

11. Oct 8, 2013 #10

atyy

Science Advisor

I think the transistor and BCS were super super brilliant.

12. Oct 8, 2013 #11
    something that bothers me is that brout-engelert wrote the thesis 2 months before higgs but the particle is calle higgs boson??? how do we know that Higgs didnt copy the brouth-engelert paper???

13. Oct 8, 2013 #12

atyy

Science Advisor

14. Oct 8, 2013 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Andre Geim won two, also.

Well OK one of them was an Ig Nobel....close enough :biggrin:.

15. Oct 9, 2013 #14

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I think you are right.

But I still don't understand why is it called Higgs particle and Higgs mechanism? Did he better develop the idea than the guys before him? Or had better PR? Or been famous already? Or just being lucky?

16. Oct 9, 2013 #15
  17. Oct 9, 2013 #16

Demystifier

Science Advisor

18. Oct 9, 2013 #17

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The chemistry prize goes to Martin Karplus, Michael Levitt and Arieh Warshel "for the development of multiscale models for complex chemical systems."

19. Oct 9, 2013 #18
    NY Times: Nobel Prize and Higgs History

For those interested in snippets of Higgs theory, a bit of politics, but more interesting I think for the history of which theoretical physicists contributed what in developing the theory, check out:

For Nobel, They Can Thank the ‘God Particle’
    Higgs and Englert Are Awarded Nobel Prize in Physics

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/s...ggs-win-nobel-physics-prize.html?pagewanted=2

Sounds like there was a 'race to the finish' suggesting the early theory struck gold in the eyes of many.

20. Oct 9, 2013 #19

atyy

Science Advisor

The "Higgs particle" is right, since Higgs alone predicted it. The "Higgs mechanism" is, I think, a little lucky. Also its easier to pronounce than BEHGHK or whatever. I know some condensed matter physicists who say Anderson-Higgs mechanism, just like they say Wegner-Wilson loop.

As far as I know there was no race, and the 3 groups were independent and unaware of any competition.

21. Oct 9, 2013 #20

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

You caught me :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook