Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Nobel Prize in Physics 2016

1. Oct 20, 2016 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Well, this was awarded to Condensed matter physics this year, so I think this is the appropriate thread to post my question...
    So far I've only read through the official site's press release ( https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2016/press.html ), however it is still unclear to me what is so interesting or amazing about their finding?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2016 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you read the explanations on the website? There are two, one "easy" and one aimed at people with a background in physics (not so easy).
    Both are quite good.

4. Oct 20, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Without actually reading through their work in detail (and it would probably be rather difficult to get a really good understanding of it) , it is somewhat difficult to give a good assessment of its value. In some ways, the practical value of a theory depends on how readily it can be understood, and whether it can be taught as part of the standard curriculum. Some of the material can be so specialized that it takes a tremendous investment to try to understand it, and it can detract from time that could be spent learning other things that are less specialized.

5. Oct 20, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook