Exploring the Universe: The 2019 Nobel Prize in Physics

In summary, this conversation discusses the 2019 Nobel Prize in Physics, which was awarded to James Peebles for theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology and jointly to Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz for the discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a solar-type star. The conversation also includes discussions about the possibility of a Nobel Prize for research in quantum foundations, the deserving nature of the cosmology and exoplanet discovery prizes, and some lighthearted banter about coffee and energy drinks. Overall, the conversation highlights the excitement and recognition surrounding these groundbreaking discoveries in the field of physics.
DrClaude
Mentor
Mixed prize this year, so I don't know whether this thread belongs to cosmology or astrophysics, so I'll post in GD instead :-p

One half to James Peebles "for theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology", the other half jointly to Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz "for the discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a solar-type star."

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/physics/2019/summary/

Likes DennisN, QuantumQuest, Klystron and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Surprised? The Physics World website blog thought it would be the year for a prize in Quantum Foundations.

Likes Demystifier
We streamed the announcement at the PPNT conference in Uppsala right before lunch. The last talk before lunch ended just in time for the announcement to be made as soon as the sound of the video turned on.

It is a good prize I think. Well deserved.

I do not like the comparison Ulf Danielsson made of the Universe to a cup of coffee (a lot of coffee - dark energy, quite a bit of milk - dark matter, and a tiny bit of sugar - ordinary matter). I take my coffee without sugar, but I like having matter in my universe.

Also, Ulf’s introduction was directly copied from the Big Bang Theory theme song by Barenaked Ladies. Copyright infringement?

When reading the mentioned Physics World feature I also thought Zeilinger et al were due for the prize finally. I guess the trouble for the Nobel Commitee here however is that there are many experimental researchers on quantum foundations, and it's not easy to pick out a maximum of three with this topic.

The cosmology/astro prize is of course well deserved. I had heard of Peeble's broad work on observables of the big bang in the cosmic microwave background, dark matter, structure formation, bb nucleosynthesis, and all that. It was a good decision to give the prize for all this work on many aspects of cosmology over the decades, making it to the precise and exact science (including the quibbles concerning what dark matter, dark energy really might be and also the trouble with the Hubble constant, ##H_0##).

I never associated names with the discovery of exoplanets. Now I know at least two :-).

The only worry I have that now it's unlikely for my colleagues in Frankfurt to get the Nobel for the "black hole picture" next year :-(, because usually they seem to vary the topics awarded with the prize over the years.

Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
The only worry I have that now it's unlikely for my colleagues in Frankfurt to get the Nobel for the "black hole picture" next year :-(, because usually they seem to vary the topics awarded with the prize over the years.

Age may be a factor. This year again we see two older physicists getting recognition( no posthumous awards).

Likes DrClaude
Orodruin said:
We streamed the announcement at the PPNT conference in Uppsala right before lunch. The last talk before lunch ended just in time for the announcement to be made as soon as the sound of the video turned on.

It is a good prize I think. Well deserved.

I do not like the comparison Ulf Danielsson made of the Universe to a cup of coffee (a lot of coffee - dark energy, quite a bit of milk - dark matter, and a tiny bit of sugar - ordinary matter). I take my coffee without sugar, but I like having matter in my universe.

Also, Ulf’s introduction was directly copied from the Big Bang Theory theme song by Barenaked Ladies. Copyright infringement?
I don't take coffee, but I like sugar flavoured drinks.
So does that mean I don't believe in dark energy? :oldbiggrin:

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I don't take coffee, but I like sugar flavoured drinks.
So does that mean I don't believe in dark energy?
https://www.nutricion24.com/en/dark-energy-drink-500-ml-12-uds-vitobest.html. :smile:

DrClaude said:
One half to James Peebles "for theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology", the other half jointly to Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz "for the discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a solar-type star."
Well deserved, I think. Exoplanets have been around for such a long time now that I've forgot when the first one(s) was/were discovered. I'd say, the first discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a star was an important step in astronomy/astrophysics. And I remember being deeply fascinated by it.

Likes CPW
DennisN said:
https://www.nutricion24.com/en/dark-energy-drink-500-ml-12-uds-vitobest.html. :smile:
Only light energy drinks for me, I'll never join the dark side! :-D

Likes DennisN

What is the Nobel Prize in Physics 2019?

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2019 is an international award given to individuals who have made significant contributions in the field of physics. It is one of the most prestigious awards in the scientific community.

Who won the Nobel Prize in Physics 2019?

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2019 was awarded to three scientists: James Peebles, Michel Mayor, and Didier Queloz. James Peebles received half of the prize for his contributions to the understanding of the evolution of the universe, while Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz shared the other half for their discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a sun-like star.

What were the contributions of James Peebles to the field of physics?

James Peebles is known for his groundbreaking work in cosmology, which is the study of the origins and development of the universe. He made significant contributions to the Big Bang theory and helped develop the standard model of cosmology. His research has greatly advanced our understanding of the evolution and structure of the universe.

What is the significance of the discovery of an exoplanet by Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz?

The discovery of an exoplanet (a planet outside our solar system) by Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz was a major breakthrough in the field of astronomy. It was the first confirmed discovery of a planet orbiting a sun-like star and opened the door to the possibility of finding other habitable planets in the universe. This discovery has greatly expanded our knowledge of the universe and the possibilities of other life forms.

How are Nobel Prize winners selected in the field of physics?

The Nobel Prize winners in the field of physics are selected through a rigorous process by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. The academy receives nominations from qualified individuals and organizations, and then a group of experts evaluates the nominations and selects the winners. The winners are announced in October of each year and are awarded the Nobel Prize in December.