Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nobel Prize worhty work at the age of 30

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    Just want to share with you the content of an article that i read this morning on the train. Research groups (i believe in the UK) have done extensive studies among scientists that concluded that you reach your TOP level at around 30. We all know that Einstein was around 25-27 when he wrote his most important articles but the researchers argue that nowadays it takes more effort and more study-time to reach the level at which you are able to do new innovating stuff. So guys, you know your deadline :)

regards
    marlon

ps: i will try to find a link to the results of this research

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In 1905,Einstein was 26.In 1900,Planck was 42.In 1921,Pauli was 20.In 1926,Schrödinger was 35.In 1925,Heisenberg was 24,etc.

So it varies quite significantly,Marlon.

Daniel.

4. May 30, 2005 #3
    9 (soon 8) years to go! I got plenty of time. That I havn't began my degree yet, is only a slight complication. :uhh:

Ps. Was that a study only about phycists or mortals as well?

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  5. May 30, 2005 #4
    Is 30 a peak, or the beginning of a plateau? If so, it means I'm on a downhill slide. :grumpy:

6. May 30, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It should be a peak,but as i've proven by giving examples,it's not a rule.

Daniel.

7. May 30, 2005 #6
    People who think all the time and always train their brain can sustain or even build on what they have at the age of 30.

8. May 30, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Bah! so im useless for another 11 years >:(

9. May 31, 2005 #8
    well, you can always try to break the limits, right ?

me, i still got 5 years to go...but time passes by very fast once you started college...

marlon

10. May 31, 2005 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I expect that we will be able to enjoy at least a good fifty years or so of your brilliance, Daniel. I am hoping, anyway :smile:

11. May 31, 2005 #10
    That's nice :smile:

marlon

12. May 31, 2005 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I expect this from you, too, Marlon - but I figure we'll lose you to Hollywood when you become a famous actor!

13. May 31, 2005 #12
    well, how about an academy award instead of a Nobel Prize...I will lose the latter to dexter anyway, so...

marlon

14. May 31, 2005 #13

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

*flattered* :blushing: Thank you, MIH. :wink: I'll do my best to live up to expectations. :cool:

As for you, Marlon,you already have a few laps ahead of me... :wink:

Daniel.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2005
  15. May 31, 2005 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

my professor of engineering said roughly the same thing - that profs in math/science reach their peak at about 25-30 and he drew a graph that started off at 0, peaked at around 30 and then went down to 0 again - sorta like a half circle

interestingly enough when he was drawing an engineer's graph he simply drew a straight line y=x with a positive slope, starting from 0

16. May 31, 2005 #15
    your prof was just joking, trust me

marlon

17. May 31, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

yes perhaps. he is a mech eng prof, and his explanation was that 'an experienced engineer will now if something would work or not without even making calculations'

18. May 31, 2005 #17
    okelidokeli

marlon

19. May 31, 2005 #18

cronxeh

Gold Member

was that more of a sarcasmic 'okelidokeli' ? :tongue:

20. May 31, 2005 #19

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps some peak intellectually at 30, but I would disagree with this in general. Possibly those who achieve Nobel Prize worthy work peak, i.e. they go on to other things.

I have observed older colleagues who seem to begin to coast at some point, or who seem to become complacent and do not wish to struggle to learn new things.

As for me, some of my best work has come during my 40's, and the best is yet to come. There are a host of challenging technical issues to be addressed and new concepts to develop. There are still many problems to be understood and solved, and I am still learning, and I will do so for the rest of my life.

My paternal grandfather was still productive beyond 100.

21. May 31, 2005 #20

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay,Evo,what was wrong with getting personal?She called me "Daniel"...:wink:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?