Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nobel Prizes 2012

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    Nobel Prizes have started again this year. Physics on the 9th, Chemistry on the 10th, Peace Prize on the 12th and some others on different days.

http://www.nobelprize.org/

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I thought Yamanaka would get a nobel prize one day, although I expected it to be after iPSCs had been developed into therapeutic products rather than at this early stage.

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3
    Is there a live stream? I think this might be fun to watch, if I can a few people over.

5. Oct 9, 2012 #4
    Just announced at the live stream, the nobel prize in physics 2012 is shared by

Serge Haroche and Dave Wineland for
    "for ground-breaking experimental methods that enable measuring and manipulation of individual quantum systems"

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  6. Oct 9, 2012 #5

Drakkith

What's that mean exactly?

7. Oct 9, 2012 #6
  8. Oct 9, 2012 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

9. Oct 9, 2012 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I said to my former thesis advisor in an email earlier today, it's a great day for AMO physics.

10. Oct 9, 2012 #9
    Will the result of that work change anything in the theory of Quantum Mechanics? Isn't it somehow related to the Heisenberg's principle?

11. Oct 9, 2012 #10

cobalt124

Gold Member

I thought it was an amazing discovery in its own right, irrespective of the therapeutic applications.

12. Oct 9, 2012 #11

Ryan_m_b

I agree it's an amazing discovery but that pales in comparison to the potential therapeutic applications.

13. Oct 10, 2012 #12
    It's a unusually general statement, and I interpreted it as they got the price at least partially as a lifetime achievement thing, since they have contributed to the control of quantum particles in a series of many experiments over decades.

14. Oct 10, 2012 #13

Drakkith

Ah, I see. From the link in ZapperZ's post it seems they have done some pretty interesting things.

15. Oct 10, 2012 #14
    And as for more particular statements, the Chemistry Prize has now also been announced:

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2012 was awarded jointly to Robert J. Lefkowitz and Brian K. Kobilka "for studies of G-protein-coupled receptors"

Overview of their work Here

16. Oct 11, 2012 #15
    Wow, the nobel committee folks sure love atom trapping experiments.

Can one of the local experts please explain how these contributions are that different from those of Chu/Cohen-Tanudji etc?

17. Oct 12, 2012 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats to all European PFers on your Nobel Peace Prize!

18. Oct 12, 2012 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd like to know what the European PFers' view of this year's Peace Prize.

My view: another wasted opportunity by the Nobel committee. Look at some of their recent choices: Al Gore (won't go into why I think this is laughable). Barack Obama (he had just got into office - hadn't even figured out where the bathrooms are, for crying out loud! He did make a good speech though :biggrin:). The UN (for doing their job from the comfy confines of New York city?).

Don't get me wrong - I'm very happy Europeans have resisted raping, pillaging, and killing each other for 67 years. Really I am! But there are a lot of people and organizations doing good work all over the world - in difficult situations, risking their lives to promote peace.

Just one woman's opinion here.

19. Oct 12, 2012 #18

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It is certainly true that it's difficult to understand how an organization that has been around for less than 20 years has kept the peace for 60.

20. Oct 12, 2012 #19
    I believe the peace prize to EU as well Obama was a very meticulous political move. It appears the Nobel committee intends to influence the decisions of others and the way to do is by giving others peace prizes. During Obama time, I felt they wanted Obama to clear up the US-ME mess and now they want EU not to get dissolved over current financial crisis.

21. Oct 12, 2012 #20

atyy

Science Advisor

Not to argue about who should have won the prize, but the UN does have offices in not so comfy places too, eg. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13253896.

I hope they award it to Romney next :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook