1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noble gas electronic configuration

1. May 27, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the elements in COF2, which noble gas electronic configuration is attained in the Lewis structure.

The attempt at a solution

I'm guessing that each element has a noble gas configuration of neon. Would that be correct. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2014 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A noble gas has a full outer shell, or more particularly, a full 'p' subshell.

For example, the electronic configuration of Kr in the ground state electron configuration is: [Ar].3d10.4s2.4p6

Similarly for Xe: [Kr].4d10.5s2.5p6

In the molecule, COF2, which element (atom) is most likely to fill its p-subshell?

4. May 27, 2014 #3
    Thanks for replying.

F has 7 valence electrons so I'm guessing that it's the most likely to fill its p shell which would give it the noble gas electronic configuration of neon. But when it comes to COF2 wouldn't all the atoms have a full outer shell by sharing electrons. Sorry I'm just a little confused I'd really appreciate if you could point in the right direction.

Thanks.

5. May 27, 2014 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, the number of electrons is conserved in a neutral molecule.

In order for F to fill it's outer shell, what must happen? Where does the electron originate to fill the p-subshell?

Also, look at the electron configurations of C and O. What must happen for those atoms to fill their p-subshell?

6. May 27, 2014 #5
    I'm guessing that the electron would originate from the carbon atom.

Carbon needs 4 electrons and oxygen needs 2 electrons in order to fill their p shells. So in this case am I correct in thinking that all the atoms fill their p shells by sharing electrons? If that was the case wouldn't they all have the same electronic configuration as neon since their electronic configuration would be 1s22s22p6? What am I missing?

Thanks.

7. May 27, 2014 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Looks OK to me.

Try to draw Lewis structure.

8. May 27, 2014 #7
    Thank you :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted