Finding Vx with Nodal Analysis in a Circuit with Multiple Voltage Sources

In summary, the problem is to use Nodal analysis to find Vx in the given circuit. The number of unknowns and equations necessary can be determined by finding all the nodes in the circuit, subtracting the reference node and number of voltage sources. In this case, there are a total of 4 nodes, 1 reference node, and 3 voltage sources, resulting in 0 unknowns and equations. However, this does not make sense in this circuit as there are more unknowns than equations needed. The attempt at a solution provided is incorrect as the KCL for node b assumes that the potentials at a and c are both zero, but this cannot be the case given the fixed voltage source separating them. The points labelled a
qzhang

Homework Statement

I have to use Nodal analysis to find Vx

Homework Equations

our prof said that if we want to find the number of unknowns and eqxns necessary then we need to find all the nodes in circuit - the reference node - number of voltage sources, for this circuit that would be 4 nodes - 1 ref - 3 vsrc = 0 this doesn't make sense in this circuit

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt at this problem I'm pretty sure its not right, here is what i did:

KCL @ node b: -(Vx/20k) + (Vx/30k) + (Vx-20)/10k = 0 solving for Vx

I get that Vx = 24V. I got the eqxn above by subtracting the two voltages on the leftmost node and adding the voltages on the rightmost node and then doing the KCL. I'm pretty sure its not right so please help

Attachments

• hw2prob1.jpg
    hw2prob1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
qzhang said:

Homework Statement

I have to use Nodal analysis to find Vx

Homework Equations

our prof said that if we want to find the number of unknowns and eqxns necessary then we need to find all the nodes in circuit - the reference node - number of voltage sources, for this circuit that would be 4 nodes - 1 ref - 3 vsrc = 0 this doesn't make sense in this circuit

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt at this problem I'm pretty sure its not right, here is what i did:

KCL @ node b: -(Vx/20k) + (Vx/30k) + (Vx-20)/10k = 0 solving for Vx

I get that Vx = 24V. I got the eqxn above by subtracting the two voltages on the leftmost node and adding the voltages on the rightmost node and then doing the KCL. I'm pretty sure its not right so please help

There's a problem with your KCL for node b. You have assumed that the potentials at a and c are both zero, but that cannot be the case given the fixed source separating them.

Nodes that are directly interconnected by voltage sources are not really separate nodes, they comprise a "supernode". This is because the voltage sources define and maintain a fixed potential difference between them regardless of what current flows through those sources. In this circuit the points labelled a, c, and ground are all directly interconnected by fixed voltage sources, so their potentials with respect to the reference node (ground) are all fixed and no equations need to be written for them; their potentials with respect to ground can be written by inspection from the circuit diagram (What are they?).

1. How do I find the voltage at a specific node using nodal analysis?

In nodal analysis, we use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to find the voltage at a specific node. This involves writing equations for the incoming and outgoing currents at that node, and solving for the unknown voltage using algebraic manipulation.

2. Can nodal analysis be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources. The voltage sources are treated as known values and are included in the equations written for KCL at each node.

3. Is nodal analysis more accurate than other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal analysis is considered to be one of the most accurate circuit analysis methods, as it takes into account all of the currents in a circuit. However, its accuracy also depends on the accuracy of the values used for the circuit components.

4. What happens if a node has more than two connecting branches?

If a node has more than two connecting branches, it is still possible to use nodal analysis. In this case, additional equations for KCL will need to be written for that node, using the currents entering and leaving the node through each individual branch.

5. Are there any limitations to using nodal analysis?

One limitation of nodal analysis is that it cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources, such as current-controlled voltage sources. Additionally, it can become more complicated to use for circuits with a large number of nodes and branches.