Solve Nodal Analysis Differential Equation for I1 with Reference Point under C

In summary, the conversation is about using nodal analysis to obtain a differential equation. The next step involves adding 3 currents and setting the result to 0 to get a second order DE. There is confusion about the expression for I1, which is an inductor, and how to incorporate the resistor R into the equation. The original exercise and the potential at the left side of L1 are also discussed.
Jair Gutierrez

Homework Statement

Using nodal analisis we need obtain the differential equation

2. The attempt at a solution

For I1 and take the point under C as reference, but i am stuck on it
PA170007.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jair Gutierrez. :welcome:

The next step here is to add those 3 currents, and equate the result to 0; this gives you your second order DE.

You don't have the right expression for I1, the current in an inductor.

Is Va entirely arbitrary or does it have some particular form? I'm assuming it's a source rather than the desired output from some initial value conditions of the circuit... the problem statement is rather vague.

Hi thanks for your anwers, yes I1 is an inductor,
I1=integral of (Va-V1)/L, but in all this equations where i use the resistor R, i think R is part of I1, but i don't know how write the equation in this case.

Here is the original exercise, 5.15
PA150002.JPG

In my node i have 3 currents, I1, I2, I3, i think R is part of I1, but how I involve R1 to form part of the equation for I1

PA180009.JPG

The potential at the left side of L1 is not Va since, as you say the resistor R is between it and the reference node. There will be a potential drop across R due to ##I_1##. So the potential across L1 is going to be something like: ##(-I_1 R + V_a - V_1)##.

1. What is nodal analysis differential equation?

Nodal analysis differential equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the voltage and current at a particular node in an electrical circuit. It is used to calculate the current flowing through a specific element in the circuit.

2. How is nodal analysis differential equation solved?

Nodal analysis differential equation is solved by using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law. KCL states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node, while Ohm's Law relates the voltage and current across a resistor. These equations are then solved simultaneously to find the current at the desired node.

3. What is the reference point in nodal analysis differential equation?

The reference point in nodal analysis differential equation is a chosen node in the circuit where the voltage is known and used as a reference for calculating the voltages at other nodes. It is usually chosen to be the node with the lowest potential, often labeled as ground.

4. What is the significance of the reference point in nodal analysis differential equation?

The reference point is important in nodal analysis differential equation because it simplifies the calculation process. By choosing a reference point, the voltage at all other nodes can be calculated relative to it, making the equations easier to solve. It also helps to avoid negative voltage values, which can be confusing and difficult to interpret.

5. What are the limitations of nodal analysis differential equation?

Nodal analysis differential equation is limited to linear circuits, where the relationship between voltage and current is proportional. It also assumes that the circuit is in steady state, meaning that all voltages and currents are constant. Additionally, it can become more complex and time-consuming to solve for circuits with many nodes and elements.