1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nodal analysis problem

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    I need to solve this circuit using nodal analysis (find the voltage in all nodes), but i need the actual equations used to solve it.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/202411/p2/circuit328.png [Broken]
    All supplied information is there.

What I've done is to create 2 supernodes, like this
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/202411/p2/circuit328-calc.png [Broken]

And write the following equations for the three nodes that i have left.
    [itex]\frac{V1}{2k}+\frac{V1-V2+6}{2k}= 9mA[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{V2}{1k}+ 9mA +\frac{V2+6-V1}{2k}+\frac{V2+6-V3}{1k}= 2mA [/itex]
    [itex]\frac{V3-V2+6}{1k}+\frac{V3}{1k}+\frac{V3+89}{1k}+2mA = 0[/itex]

When i try to solve these equations i get V1 = -5.8V, V2=-23V, V3=-40V
    I tried to draw the circuit in LTSpice, and the result should be V1=2V, V2=-20V, V3=-35V

What did i do wrong? I've been trying to redo the circuit several times for more than 1½ hour now, but don't get the right answer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It's a good idea to get into the habit of putting parentheses around the terms corresponding to supernode sub-nodes. That way mathematical operation ordering is maintained when you write your expressions. In your first node equation, for example, note that V1 - V2 + 6 is not the same as V1 - (V2 + 6) :wink:

4. May 24, 2012 #3
    oh god... i can't believe i spend so much time on this.... .. thanks, that solved it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook