Can I Use My TI-84 for Nodal Analysis with Rectangle and Polar Form?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of solving nodal analysis problems using rectangle and polar form on a TI-84 calculator. However, it is not possible due to the lack of necessary functions, such as the "∠" sign. The TI-89 or other alternative programs, such as Matlab or Scilab, are recommended for solving these types of problems.
alexander.s
Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to solve nodal analysis problems that include rectangle and polar form using the TI-84. It just gives me an error when I put in "i" as in imaginary when trying to put up my matrix. I've read it's possible to do with the TI-89, but I'd really rather not spend the money if it's possible to do on my current calculator. For example the TI-89 has the "∠" sign which the TI-84 doesn't seem to have, except for the "5e^(90i)" etc which isn't really something I want to use in bigger problems.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have a TI-86 and it does complex matrices, but these guys:

http://freemathhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25182

say that the TI-84 Plus can't do it, so probably the regular TI-84 can't either.

Last edited by a moderator:
To solve a matrix with polar or rectangular elements in TI-84, is unlikely possible. I use TI-89 Titanium to solve this kind of problem. Or if you have access to matlab, you can use it to solve the problem.

Scilab is also a very capable Matlab-like suite developed by a huge French Government team. It's FREE! and very well supported.

1. What is nodal analysis with TI-84?

Nodal analysis with TI-84 is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current values at various nodes in a circuit. The TI-84 calculator can be used to solve the equations involved in nodal analysis, making it a convenient tool for students and professionals.

2. How do I perform nodal analysis with TI-84?

To perform nodal analysis with TI-84, you will need to first label and identify the nodes in the circuit. Then, use the calculator to set up and solve the equations for each node. The calculator has built-in functions for solving systems of equations, making it easier to solve the nodal analysis equations.

3. What are the benefits of using nodal analysis with TI-84?

Some benefits of using nodal analysis with TI-84 include its convenience, accuracy, and speed. The calculator can quickly solve complex equations, providing accurate results that can be easily verified. It also eliminates the need for manual calculations, saving time and reducing the risk of errors.

4. Can I use nodal analysis with TI-84 for any type of circuit?

Yes, nodal analysis with TI-84 can be used for any type of circuit that can be represented by a set of equations. It is commonly used for circuits with multiple voltage sources, resistors, and current sources. However, it may not be the most efficient method for more complex circuits with non-linear components.

5. Are there any limitations to nodal analysis with TI-84?

One limitation of nodal analysis with TI-84 is that it may not be the most efficient method for circuits with non-linear components. It also requires the user to correctly label and identify the nodes in the circuit, which can be challenging for more complex circuits. Additionally, the calculator has a limited number of decimal places, which may affect the accuracy of the results.