Solving Circuit Analysis with Nodal Analysis - Help Needed!

In summary, the speaker is trying to analyze a circuit using nodal analysis, but is not getting the correct results for v1, v2, and v3. They ask for help and someone points out that the conductance of the resistors should be in ohms instead of siemens. Another person mentions that the equation for node 3 may be missing a term.
mralam
Hey guys. I have attached a circuit that i am trying to analyse using nodal analysis.
This is how i am doing it:

at node 2:
(v2-v1)/1 + v2/4 + (v2-v3)/1 = 0

at node 3:

(v3-v2)/1 + v3/2 = 4A

at node 1:

v1/25 = 2A

but i am not getting the right results for v1, v2 and v3.

Can anyone point out what i am doing wrong?

thanks

Attachments

• circuit.doc
    56.5 KB · Views: 200
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you are given conductance of the resistors rather the resistance in ohms.

i have asked about that and it is suppose to be ohm not s

If your node 3 is at v_3, then where 3i_0 is in the equation?For the node 3, I would write the equation like 3i_0+4A=(v_3-v_2/1s)+v_3/2s. I think you may have missed the 3i_0 in your equation.

As a fellow scientist, I would suggest checking your calculations and making sure you have correctly applied Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law at each node. It is also important to double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the equations. If you are still having trouble, try using a different method such as mesh analysis to verify your results. Additionally, you may want to consult with a colleague or a textbook to see if there are any mistakes in your approach. Keep in mind that circuit analysis can be complex and it may take some trial and error to get the correct results. Don't get discouraged and keep practicing!

1. What is nodal analysis and how does it work?

Nodal analysis is a method used to solve circuit problems by analyzing the voltage at each node in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of the currents entering a node must equal the sum of the currents leaving that node. By setting up equations using this law and Ohm's Law, the voltage at each node can be determined.

2. When should nodal analysis be used?

Nodal analysis is best used for circuits with multiple voltage sources and complex connections. It is also useful when the voltage at specific nodes needs to be determined.

3. What are the steps for solving a circuit using nodal analysis?

The steps for solving a circuit using nodal analysis are as follows:

• Identify all the nodes in the circuit and assign a reference node.
  • Apply Kirchhoff's Current Law to each node, setting up equations based on the currents entering and leaving the node.
  • Simplify the equations by substituting in values from Ohm's Law.
  • Solve the resulting system of equations to find the voltage at each node.

4. What are some common mistakes made when using nodal analysis?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all the nodes in the circuit or incorrectly identifying the reference node. Another mistake is not properly applying Kirchhoff's Current Law or using incorrect values for the resistors in the circuit. It is important to double check all steps and calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any alternative methods to solve circuit problems?

Yes, there are other methods such as Mesh Analysis and Thevenin's Theorem that can also be used to solve circuit problems. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the circuit and the information that needs to be determined.