1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nodal analysis

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    [PLAIN]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2437/elect2.png [Broken]
    I'm just wondering where I have to put the reference node in this circuit when doing nodal analysis.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2

The Electrician

Gold Member

You can use any node you like to be the reference, but there will probably a certain convenience if you choose the bottom right node.

4. Jul 18, 2010 #3
    If I chose the corner to the left of the 2400ohm resistor that wouldn't work would it?

5. Jul 18, 2010 #4

The Electrician

Gold Member

That would work, but I would slide the 2400 ohm resistor clockwise around the left hand loop and absorb it into the 3600 ohm resistor, replacing the 3600 ohm resistor with a 6000 o0hm resistor, and deleting the 2400 ohm resistor. Then the bottom node makes the most sense to use for the reference node.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  6. Jul 18, 2010 #5
    You can use any node by using KVL and KCL rules.
    You would probably come up with two simultaneous equations which I would prefer using some math software tools or advanced calculator to solve the equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook