Solving Complex Electrical Circuit: V1, V2, & V3

In summary, when creating a supernode in a circuit, it is important to consider all currents that enter and leave the supernode, including those through voltage source branches. Instead of defining multiple supernodes, it is recommended to include all directly connected nodes via voltage sources in the same supernode for easier solving of the node equation.
Berserk

Homework Statement

Screenshot_2015-02-01-18-18-54.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed there to be two supernodes. The first one was between V1 and V2. The second supernode was between V2 and V3.
IMG_20150201_184150[1].jpg

IMG_20150201_184221[1].jpg
IMG_20150201_185833[1].jpg
IMG_20150201_185857[1].jpg

This is what i tried and i am not getting the right answers. Please can someone help me out! Apologies for the turned pictures. The actual answers are V1 =7.608v , V2 =-17.39v , V3 = 1.6305v

Physics news on Phys.org
When you create a supernode you must consider all currents that enter and leave that supernode. In your first node equation you have ignored the current that must leave it via the 5i source branch. And there you have a problem because its a branch with a voltage source and no resistance.

Rather than defining two supernodes, which leads to the above issue, be sure to include in any supernode ALL of the nodes that are directly connected via voltage sources. If you can follow a path to a node that traverses only voltage sources, then it's part of the same supernode.

You will probably find the resulting node equation to be easier to solve :)

Likes Berserk
I got the answer! I can't believe this... finally! :w Thanks a million! :D

1. What is a complex electrical circuit?

A complex electrical circuit is a circuit that contains multiple components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, arranged in a way that requires advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

2. What are V1, V2, and V3 in a complex electrical circuit?

V1, V2, and V3 are voltage values at specific points in a complex electrical circuit. They represent the potential difference between two points and are often used in calculations to solve the circuit.

3. How do you solve a complex electrical circuit?

To solve a complex electrical circuit, you need to use techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and various circuit analysis methods. You must also have a basic understanding of algebra and calculus to perform the necessary calculations.

4. Can a complex electrical circuit be simplified?

Yes, a complex electrical circuit can be simplified by using techniques such as series and parallel combinations, Thevenin's and Norton's theorems, and delta-star transformations. These methods help reduce the circuit to a simpler form that is easier to analyze.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving a complex electrical circuit?

Some common mistakes when solving a complex electrical circuit include forgetting to take into account all the components in the circuit, using incorrect equations or values, and making mathematical errors. It is crucial to double-check all calculations and assumptions to avoid these mistakes.