Solving Question 1(b) Using Nodal Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the correct answer to a question using nodal analysis. The person providing the summary suggests using Thevenin and Norton equivalents to solve the problem and asks for clarification about the attachment. It is mentioned that the attachment may have been removed due to concerns about posting the exam in public.
jawad.tahir

Homework Statement

i haVE tried to solve it no. of ways but i didn't get the right answer. Please have a look on the question 1(b) in attachment Figure 1(a), I want to know that how can i solve this question by using nodal analysis. Please explain your answer as well so i could clear my concepts about node analysis. thanks
The correct answer is 1.08W

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem asks one to use Thevenin equivalent, which should be pretty straightforward.

Thevenin (voltage) - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/8.html

Norton (current source) - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/9.html

See if that helps.

Since this is an exam, is one taking this exam? Does one have permission to post the exam in the public domain?

where is your attachment?

unplebeian said:
where is your attachment?

I believed that Astro removed it because of uncertainty as to whether or not jawad.tahir has permission to post the exam in public.

1. How do you use nodal analysis to solve question 1(b)?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze electric circuits by determining the voltage at each node (junction) in the circuit. To solve question 1(b) using nodal analysis, you will need to apply Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law to create a system of equations that can be solved to find the voltage at the desired node or nodes.

2. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law and how is it used in nodal analysis?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of currents entering a node in an electric circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. In nodal analysis, this law is used to write equations based on the currents flowing into and out of each node, which can then be used to solve for the unknown voltages at the nodes.

3. Can you use nodal analysis to solve circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used to solve circuits with multiple voltage sources. Each voltage source will create a new node in the circuit, and the voltage at that node can be included as an additional unknown in the equations used to solve for the node voltages.

4. Are there any limitations to using nodal analysis?

One limitation of nodal analysis is that it can only be used to solve circuits with independent voltage sources. It cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources, such as voltage-controlled voltage sources. Additionally, nodal analysis can become more complex and time-consuming to solve for circuits with a large number of nodes or voltage sources.

5. Can nodal analysis be used to find currents in addition to voltages?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used to find both voltages and currents in a circuit. Once the voltages at each node are known, Ohm's Law can be used to calculate the currents flowing through each branch of the circuit. This information can be useful in analyzing the overall behavior of the circuit and can also be used to calculate power dissipation at different points in the circuit.