Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Node Points on a Beam?

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the node points (zero displacement) for a clamped-pinned and clamped-spring beam.
    I am trying to figure out how to find these points on a beam of length L (constant E*I,m) for the first 3 natural frequencies.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\upsilon(x,t) = \sum \phi(x)*\zeta(t)[/tex]
    ODE:
    [tex]\phi''(x) - \omega\phi(x) = F[/tex]

General solution:
    [tex]\phi(x) = A*sinh(\alpha*x) + B*cos(\alpha*x) - C*sin(\alpha*x) - D*cosh*(\alpha*x)[/tex]

A,B,C,D to be found using boundary conditions (in this case clamped-pinned):
    [tex]\phi(0)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\phi'(0)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\phi(L)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\phi''(L)=0[/tex]

My question is: the mode shape can be found by solving for the constants, etc. But how can you analytically find the zeros for this? The solution is non-linear. Is there another method I can use to find the node points?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2
    Anyone there??
    One thought I had was to use Newton's method but I've tried this and the radius of convergence seems to be too small for many of my cases.

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unless A=D=0, I'm pretty sure you need to solve numerically.
    An analytic solution would be possible when A=D=0, since it's just trig terms then.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook