1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Node Points on a Beam?

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the node points (zero displacement) for a clamped-pinned and clamped-spring beam.
    I am trying to figure out how to find these points on a beam of length L (constant E*I,m) for the first 3 natural frequencies.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\upsilon(x,t) = \sum \phi(x)*\zeta(t)[/tex]
    ODE:
    [tex]\phi''(x) - \omega\phi(x) = F[/tex]

General solution:
    [tex]\phi(x) = A*sinh(\alpha*x) + B*cos(\alpha*x) - C*sin(\alpha*x) - D*cosh*(\alpha*x)[/tex]

A,B,C,D to be found using boundary conditions (in this case clamped-pinned):
    [tex]\phi(0)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\phi'(0)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\phi(L)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\phi''(L)=0[/tex]

My question is: the mode shape can be found by solving for the constants, etc. But how can you analytically find the zeros for this? The solution is non-linear. Is there another method I can use to find the node points?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2
    Anyone there??
    One thought I had was to use Newton's method but I've tried this and the radius of convergence seems to be too small for many of my cases.

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unless A=D=0, I'm pretty sure you need to solve numerically.
    An analytic solution would be possible when A=D=0, since it's just trig terms then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?