1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Node Voltage analysis

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    Find the equivalent resistance looking into terminals a-b for the network. Hint: first connect a 1A current source across terminals a and b. The solve the network by the node-voltage technique. The voltage across the current source is equal in value to the equivalent resistance.

So I've worked through the problem and figured out that the voltage at v1 (between 1 and 5 ohm resistor) is 5/3V and v2 (above 2 ohm resistor) is 1 V. I'm not entirely sure what the hint means so I don't know how to solve for the equivalent resistance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Note: I messed up in the picture. The current going through the resistor is only i_x, not 2i_x. The current source is (2 i_x).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2
    Sorry, I don't understand your drawing. The hint is merely saying that the voltage across the current source must be equal to the Norton resistance (don't worry about the name) because the resistance and the current source are in parallel, so if you can figure out the voltage across the current source then you can figure out the resistance. Since your current source is 1A everything is very convenient.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?