How Do I Correctly Apply Node Voltage Analysis?

In summary, the node voltages Va and Vb can be determined by setting up and solving the equations for each node, taking into account the direction of currents flowing in and out of the nodes. In this particular circuit, the directions of currents can be assumed to be flowing out of the nodes, except for currents from current sources.
Quincy

Homework Statement

Determine the node voltages, Va and Vb of this circuit:

http://img198.imageshack.us/i/circuitx.jpg/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Node a: 3 V - Va/4 + (Va - Vb)/2 = 0

3 - Va/4 + 2Va/4 - 2Vb/4 = 0

3 + Va/4 - 2Vb/4 = 0

--> 12 + Va - 2Vb = 0

Node b: Vb/3 - 4 - (Va - Vb)/2 = 0

2Vb/6 - 4 - 3Va/6 + 3Vb/6 = 0

---> -24 - 3Va + 5Vb = 0

Combining two equations yields:

-24 - 3Va + 5Vb
3(12 + Va - 2Vb)
12 - Vb = 0
Vb = 12 V

- 24 - 3Va + 5(12) = 0
Va = 12 V

According to the book, my answer is wrong. What am I doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Your node equations are not being consistent with the assumed directions of currents (what sign to assign to incoming versus outgoing currents from a node).

I find it's easier to always assume that currents are flowing out of a node unless it is a current source that leaves one no choice. The mathematics takes care of sorting out the actual directions via the node voltages it determines. So, for example, I would write:

Node a: -3A - Va/4Ω - (Va - Vb)/2Ω = 0 ... No choice for the -3A flowing out of Node a
Node b: +4A - Vb/3Ω - (Vb - Va)/2Ω = 0 ... No choice for the +4A flowing into Node b

Note how the (Va - Vb) term changes "direction" when looking from Node b towards Node a, versus looking towards Node b from Node a.

So, at any given node, to write the "outgoing" current for a branch, simply take the node's voltage and subtract the voltage of the next node over, and divide by the intervening resistance.

1. What is node voltage analysis?

Node voltage analysis is a method used in electrical circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. By applying this law to each node in a circuit, the voltage at each node can be calculated.

2. What is the difference between node voltage analysis and mesh analysis?

Node voltage analysis and mesh analysis are two different methods used to analyze electrical circuits. While node voltage analysis focuses on determining the voltage at each node in a circuit, mesh analysis focuses on determining the current in each loop of a circuit. Both methods use Kirchhoff's Laws to solve for the unknown variables in a circuit.

3. When is node voltage analysis used?

Node voltage analysis is most commonly used when analyzing circuits with multiple voltage sources and/or dependent sources. It is also useful when there are many series or parallel elements in a circuit, as it allows for simpler calculations compared to other methods.

4. How do you set up equations for node voltage analysis?

To set up equations for node voltage analysis, you first need to label each node in the circuit with a unique variable. Then, write an equation for each node using Kirchhoff's Current Law. This equation should equal the sum of all currents entering the node, with positive currents entering and negative currents leaving the node. Finally, solve the system of equations to find the voltage at each node.

5. What are the limitations of node voltage analysis?

Node voltage analysis assumes that all currents in a circuit flow in one direction, and that all voltage sources are independent. This method also only works for circuits that can be represented as a series of nodes connected by elements, and it cannot be used for circuits with nonlinear elements. Additionally, it may become more complex to solve for voltages in larger and more complex circuits.