Node voltages, with equations

• Thread starter TheRedDevil18
  • Start date
In summary: I think I will try this method. In summary, the homework equations are incorrect, but the nodal analysis may help to solve for the current.
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

Find the node voltages (diagram below)
2vb297c.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Somehow when compared to the textbook equations they seem to be wrong, I don't know why, anyways here they are

Node A: i1-i2-ix = 0
(Va-Vc)G4 - (Va-Vb)G2 - Va*G1 = 0

Node B: i2+is-iy = 0
is = iy-i2
= Vb*G3 - (Vb-Va)G2

Node C: Vc = Vs

Are these equations correct ?, if not then why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many equations do you have in how many unknowns? Would you be able to solve the set?

phinds said:
How many equations do you have in how many unknowns? Would you be able to solve the set?

The voltage source can be taken as a constant or given, Vc = Vs, so two equations and two unknowns. I'm not too worried about solving it, I just want to know if they are set up correctly

Yes, they look OK. I'm so used to doing loop equations that it just seemed off at first.

For the current's directions handwritten on the schematic, the second of the two lines quoted is not correct.
The equation for i1 should be that i1 = (Vc-Va)G4
determined by saying that current flows from the higher potential to the lower.

There is a sign error in your Node B equations, also.

NascentOxygen said:
For the current's directions handwritten on the schematic, the second of the two lnes quoted is not correct.
The equation for i1 should be that i1 = (Vc-Va)G4
determined by saying that current flows from the higher potential to the lower.

There is a sign error in your Node B equations, also.

Oh, thank you, I see it now. I had no idea that I had to follow the currents path when working out the potential difference but I see what you mean now. My equations are correct now. Thanks for the replies guys :smile:

TheRedDevil18 said:

Homework Statement

Find the node voltages (diagram below)
2vb297c.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Somehow when compared to the textbook equations they seem to be wrong, I don't know why, anyways here they are

Node B: i2+is-iy = 0
is = iy-i2
= Vb*G3 - (Vb-Va)G2

Node C: Vc = Vs

Are these equations correct ?, if not then why ?
I know they teach you to draw and label each current in the circuit, but in my opinion that only opens you up to making more mistakes and it takes longer. If you don't need to directly solve for a current, don't solve for it.

An easy way to do solve these types of equations is to do nodal analysis by doing a KCL at each UNKNOWN node. When you do the KCL allways do
0=sum of current into the node
or
0=sum of current out of the node

For me it makes it much easier, as it can prevent silly mistakes.

If you do need to solve for a current, I have found it is easiest to find all the node voltages, then use ohms law to find the current.

donpacino said:
I know they teach you to draw and label each current in the circuit, but in my opinion that only opens you up to making more mistakes and it takes longer. If you don't need to directly solve for a current, don't solve for it.

An easy way to do solve these types of equations is to do nodal analysis by doing a KCL at each UNKNOWN node. When you do the KCL allways do
0=sum of current into the node
or
0=sum of current out of the node

For me it makes it much easier, as it can prevent silly mistakes.

If you do need to solve for a current, I have found it is easiest to find all the node voltages, then use ohms law to find the current.

Ok, thanks

1. What are node voltages and why are they important in circuits?

Node voltages refer to the potential difference between two points in a circuit. They are important because they help us understand how the electric current flows through the circuit and determine the behavior of different components.

2. How do you calculate node voltages using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. To calculate node voltages using this law, we can set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown voltages using algebraic methods.

3. Can node voltages be negative?

Yes, node voltages can be negative. This indicates that the potential at that particular node is lower than the reference point, which is usually the ground. Negative node voltages can also occur when current is flowing in the opposite direction to what is assumed in the circuit.

4. How do node voltages affect the operation of components in a circuit?

Node voltages determine the flow of current through components in a circuit. If the voltage at a node is too high or too low, it can cause the component to malfunction or even fail. Therefore, it is important to calculate and monitor node voltages to ensure the proper functioning of components.

5. Are there any limitations to using node voltages in circuit analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations when using node voltages in circuit analysis. For example, it assumes that all components in the circuit are linear. It also does not account for the effects of parasitic elements, such as capacitance and inductance. Additionally, it may become more complex and time-consuming to use node voltages in circuits with multiple sources and branches.