1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noether Currents

1. Sep 27, 2014 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2014 #2
    As Peskin and Schroeder present it, the calculus is essentially that of partial derivatives while treating [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\partial_\mu \phi[/itex] as independent variables. For a given Lagrangian density [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex], he defines the current in eq. (2.12). However, the current depends on the symmetry at hand, which enters through the [itex]\mathcal{J}^\mu[/itex] term, defined on the previous page.

If this still looks too opaque, do you remember the treatment of Noether's theorem in classical mechanics of particles?

4. Sep 28, 2014 #3
    No, I didn't learn it in my classical mechanics subject.

My doubt is how it get those results for the currents. I tried to do the calcs but I get different results.

5. Sep 28, 2014 #4
    Ok... To be honest, that is a bit of a red flag! QFT is a tricky subject in its own right, but it relies heavily on classical mechanics. So you may want to pick up a good book and learn Lagrangians, variational calculus and Noether's theorem properly as soon as possible. Otherwise I think you may be in for a rough ride.

Could you show your work, say for the [itex]\mathcal{L}=\left( \partial_\mu \phi \right)^2[/itex] Lagrangian under the [itex]\phi \rightarrow \phi + \alpha[/itex] transformation? That way it'll be more clear to us where your problems lie.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook