Calculating Noether Currents in Peskin & Schroeder QFT

In summary, the conversation is about the calculus behind obtaining currents in Peskin and Schroeder's QFT book. The current is defined in equation 2.12 and depends on the symmetry of the system. The speaker suggests learning about Lagrangians, variational calculus, and Noether's theorem to better understand QFT. They also ask for the person's work on calculating currents under a specific transformation.
Breo
Physics news on Phys.org
As Peskin and Schroeder present it, the calculus is essentially that of partial derivatives while treating [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\partial_\mu \phi[/itex] as independent variables. For a given Lagrangian density [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex], he defines the current in eq. (2.12). However, the current depends on the symmetry at hand, which enters through the [itex]\mathcal{J}^\mu[/itex] term, defined on the previous page.

If this still looks too opaque, do you remember the treatment of Noether's theorem in classical mechanics of particles?

Hypersphere said:
If this still looks too opaque, do you remember the treatment of Noether's theorem in classical mechanics of particles?

No, I didn't learn it in my classical mechanics subject.

My doubt is how it get those results for the currents. I tried to do the calcs but I get different results.

Ok... To be honest, that is a bit of a red flag! QFT is a tricky subject in its own right, but it relies heavily on classical mechanics. So you may want to pick up a good book and learn Lagrangians, variational calculus and Noether's theorem properly as soon as possible. Otherwise I think you may be in for a rough ride.

Could you show your work, say for the [itex]\mathcal{L}=\left( \partial_\mu \phi \right)^2[/itex] Lagrangian under the [itex]\phi \rightarrow \phi + \alpha[/itex] transformation? That way it'll be more clear to us where your problems lie.

Hello,

Calculating Noether currents in Peskin & Schroeder QFT involves using the mathematical framework of Noether's theorem, which relates symmetries in a physical system to conserved quantities. In this case, the symmetries are related to the invariance of the action under certain transformations, and the conserved quantities are the Noether currents.

To calculate the Noether currents, you would first need to determine the symmetries of the system and identify the corresponding transformations. Then, using the Lagrangian density of the system, which is given by equation 2.16 in Peskin & Schroeder QFT, you can apply Noether's theorem to find the Noether currents.

The specific example you mentioned involves the symmetry of translations in space and time. The transformation for this symmetry is given by $\delta \phi = a^\mu \partial_\mu \phi$, where $a^\mu$ is a constant vector. By applying Noether's theorem, you can show that the Noether current is given by $j^\mu = \partial^\mu \phi$, as stated in equation 2.16.

I hope this helps clarify the process of calculating Noether currents in Peskin & Schroeder QFT. If you require further assistance, please let me know.

1. What is the significance of Noether currents in Peskin & Schroeder QFT?

Noether currents play a crucial role in understanding the symmetry properties of a quantum field theory. They provide a mathematical framework for describing the conserved quantities that arise from symmetries in the theory.

2. How are Noether currents calculated in Peskin & Schroeder QFT?

The calculation of Noether currents involves finding the infinitesimal transformations of the fields in the Lagrangian of the theory, and then using the Euler-Lagrange equations to determine the conserved currents associated with these symmetries.

3. What are the key principles behind calculating Noether currents?

The key principles involve understanding the symmetries of the theory, such as global and local gauge symmetries, and the corresponding infinitesimal transformations of the fields. It is also important to use the appropriate mathematical tools, such as the Euler-Lagrange equations, to derive the Noether currents.

4. Can Noether currents be calculated for all quantum field theories?

Yes, Noether currents can be calculated for any quantum field theory that possesses symmetries. However, the complexity of the calculation may vary depending on the specific theory and the symmetries involved.

5. How do Noether currents relate to physical observables in Peskin & Schroeder QFT?

Noether currents are directly related to physical observables through the conservation laws they represent. For example, the conservation of energy and momentum can be understood in terms of the Noether currents associated with time and space translations, respectively.