Noether's Theorem: Julien's Calculation Mistake?

In summary, the conversation discusses Noether's theorem and a specific line of calculation for the variation of symmetry. There is a discrepancy between the definitions of q'(t') and the symmetry variation, but the correct definition is determined and used in the development of the calculation.
JulienB
Hi everybody! I'm currently studying Noether's theorem, but I'm a bit stuck around a stupid line of calculation for the variation of the symmetry. The script of my teacher says (roughly translated from German, equations left as he wrote them):

"V.2. Noether Theorem

How does the action change under arbitrary variations of the path and of the time?

##t' = t + \tau (t)##; ##q_a ' (t') = q_a (t) + \Delta q_a (t)##

where ##\tau## and ##\Delta q_a## are arbitrary functions, which must not be equal zero at the boundaries. For the variation of ##q_a## by a fixed time ##q_a ' (t') = q_a (t) + \delta q_a (t)##, we find a relation between the variations ##\delta q_a## and ##\Delta q_a##:

##q_a ' (t') = q_a ' (t + \tau (t) = q_a ' (t) + \tau (t) \dot{q}_a (t)##
##= q_a (t) + \delta q_a (t) + \tau (t) \dot{q}_a (t)##
##\overset{!}{=} q_a (t) + \Delta q_a (t)##
##\implies \delta q_a (t) = \Delta q_a (t) - \tau (t) \dot{q}_a (t)##"

However, here is what I got when trying to repeat his steps:

##\delta q (t) = q ' (t') - q (t)##
##= q' (t + \tau (t)) - q(t) = q'(t) + \tau (t) \dot{q} ' (t) - q(t)##
##= q(t) + \Delta q(t) + \tau (t) \dot{q} ' (t) - q(t)##
##= \Delta q(t) + \tau (t) \dot{q} ' (t)##

That's close but not quite the same. He (very!) often makes little mistakes in his script, so I wondered if that was one of them. If not, I would be very grateful if someone could explain me when I went wrong :)Thank you very much in advance for your answers.Julien.

Physics news on Phys.org
JulienB said:
##q_a ' (t') = q_a (t) + \Delta q_a (t)##
##q_a ' (t') = q_a (t) + \delta q_a (t)##
These two definitions are incompatible (or equivalent - meaning ##\Delta q_a = \delta q_a## by definition). I assume that you intend for one to have ##q_a'(t)## on the LHS (or ##t'## instead of ##t## on the RHS). Without knowing which is which, it will be difficult to help you.

Hi @Orodruin and thank you for your answer. Those definitions unfortunately come straight out of my teacher's script... I would assume that my teacher made a mistake and -without much certainty- that ##q_a ' (t) = q_a (t) + \Delta q_a (t)## (then it would be the definition of a translation) and that ##\delta q_a (t) = q_a ' (t') - q_a(t)## (the symmetry variation). Does that seem correct to you? Unfortunately, I already used the known definitions of translation and time translation in my calculations, and I got a ##+## instead of a ##-##.

Thanks a lot in advance.Julien.

JulienB said:
Hi @Orodruin and thank you for your answer. Those definitions unfortunately come straight out of my teacher's script... I would assume that my teacher made a mistake and -without much certainty- that ##q_a ' (t) = q_a (t) + \Delta q_a (t)## (then it would be the definition of a translation) and that ##\delta q_a (t) = q_a ' (t') - q_a(t)## (the symmetry variation). Does that seem correct to you? Unfortunately, I already used the known definitions of translation and time translation in my calculations, and I got a ##+## instead of a ##-##.
Well, then the result depends on which of the ##\Delta q## and ##\delta q## you change the definition for.

I mean, judging from your teacher's script, he has ##q'(t) = q(t) + \delta q## and ##q'(t') = q(t) + \Delta q##. This also rhymes with the statement that ##\delta q## is the fixed time variation. You are using the opposite definition.

Likes JulienB
@Orodruin In my teacher's script, both definitions are written as ##q' (t')##... Okay, I rewrite my whole development following your advice:

We consider the following transformation:
##t' = t + \tau (t)##, ##q' (t) = q(t) + \delta q(t)##

We want to know what is the symmetry variation, defined as:
##\Delta q = q' (t') - q(t)##
(transformed coordinate - original coordinate)

So:

##\Delta q = q' (t + \tau) - q(t)##
##= q'(t) + \tau \cdot \dot{q} ' (t) - q(t)##
##= q(t) + \delta q(t) + \tau (t) \dot{q} (t) - q(t)##
##= \delta q(t) + \tau (t) \dot{q} (t)##

##\implies \delta q(t) = \Delta q(t) - \tau (t) \dot{q} (t)##

Indeed, that works now.. Raah sorry for that, I get it now.Thanks for your help!Julien.

JulienB said:
In my teacher's script, both definitions are written as q' (t')...
Yes, but the text itself "For the variation of qa by a fixed time" and the way he is using it in the equations suggests the definition in my previous post is what is intended.

Likes JulienB

1. What is Noether's Theorem?

Noether's Theorem is a fundamental principle in theoretical physics that links the symmetries of a physical system to its conservation laws. It was developed by mathematician Emmy Noether in 1915.

2. How does Noether's Theorem relate to Julien's calculation mistake?

Noether's Theorem is not directly related to Julien's calculation mistake. However, it is a commonly used concept in theoretical physics and can be applied to various situations, including the analysis of Julien's calculation mistake.

3. What is the significance of Julien's calculation mistake?

Julien's calculation mistake is a hypothetical scenario used to illustrate the importance of understanding and applying Noether's Theorem correctly. It highlights the consequences of ignoring the symmetries of a physical system when deriving its conservation laws.

4. Can you explain the mistake in Julien's calculation in more detail?

In Julien's calculation mistake, it is assumed that the energy of a system is conserved, but the calculation is done without considering the symmetry of time translation. This results in an incorrect derivation of the conservation law, leading to a contradiction with experimental observations.

5. How is Noether's Theorem applied in practical scientific research?

Noether's Theorem is a powerful tool that is used extensively in various fields of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. It is used to understand the underlying symmetries of physical systems and derive conserved quantities, which are essential for making predictions and understanding the behavior of the system.