1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noether's Theorem

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. Calculate the conserved charges and currents for a scalar theory whose action is invariant under infinitesimal spacetime translations and infinitesimal lorentz transformations

2. [tex] L = (\partial_\alpha \phi^\dagger)(\partial^\alpha \phi) - V [/tex]
    [tex] j^{\alpha, \beta} = i \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\beta} \phi_a)} (T^{\alpha})^b_a \phi_b [/tex]

ST: [tex] x^\alpha \to x^\alpha + \epsilon^\alpha [/tex]
    LT: [tex] x^\alpha \to x^\alpha + W^\alpha_\beta x^\beta \;\;;\;\; W_{\alpha \beta} = - W_{\beta \alpha} [/tex]

3. For the spacetime translation part, I've calculated the generators of the transformation to be: [tex] (T_\alpha)^b_a = - i \delta^b_a \partial_\alpha [/tex], the conserved currents and charges to be:
    [tex] j^{\alpha,\beta} = (\partial^\alpha \phi^\dagger)(\partial^\beta \phi) + (\partial^\beta \phi^\dagger)(\partial^\alpha \phi) [/tex]

[tex] Q^\alpha = \int d^3 x \left[(\partial^0 \phi^\dagger)(\partial^\alpha \phi) + (\partial^\alpha \phi^\dagger)(\partial^0 \phi) [/tex]

For the lorentz transformation I've calculated the generators of the transformation to be:

[tex] (T_{\alpha \beta})^b_a = -i \delta^b_a x_\alpha \partial_{\beta} [/tex]

Are these correct?

Can they be simplified further into things like the Hamiltonian/Total Energy etc?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?