1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noether's Theorem

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    Hi

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me understand an example in my class notes:

If we have a Lagrangian:

[tex]L=m(\dot{z}\dot{z^{*}})-V(\dot{z}\dot{z^{*}})[/tex]

where z=x+iy.

Why does it follow that

[tex]Q=X^{i}\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}\dot{q}^{i}}[/tex]

is equal to:

[tex]X\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}\dot{z}}+X^{*}\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}\dot{z^{*}}}[/tex]?

I mean, mathematically that seems wrong, why are we adding the second term (the one with the complex conjugate of [tex]\dot{z}[/tex])

Also, can I check if my understanding of the superscript 'i' is correct - does it correspond to the axes, for example i=1 corresponds to the x axis, i=2 corresponds to the y axis, etc. If z = x + iy, we are no longer talking about a 3 dimensional real space, so how are the superscripts relavent?

And is there a reason why the superscript 'i' has gone in the second line?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The superscripts are confusing to me. e^(0 i pi/2) is 1 which is the x axis in the complex plane, e^(1 i pi/2) is i which is the y axis in the complex plane, e^(2 i pi/2) is -1 which is the -x axis in the complex plane, and e^(3 i pi/2) is -i which is the -y axis in the complex plane. Are the superscripts related to that somehow?

4. Dec 23, 2009 #3
    I am not sure about this, as the x,y, and z axes should be orthogonal to each other, in other words they are linearly independent - ie. you can't define z in the way that it has been defined (z=x+iy), as a linear combination of x and y...

5. Dec 23, 2009 #4
    Call me crazy, but don't you need to first have a transformation of the Lagrangian before you can define a Noether current and a conserved charge?

BTW, in my QFT class I never had to deal with a complex-valued coordinate. But I'm guessing that x and y in this context are both four vectors (and therefore z as well). I could be wrong...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook