1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noise dependence

1. May 25, 2013 #1
    Hello :) i'm new to this forum, so excuse me for my straightforwardness ;)
    I'm working on my bachelor work and i can't find a solution.
    I'm writing about wind turbines' created noise dependence on temperature and pressure. So i came to this point, that i have measurements of wind speed, air pressure, temperature, density, sound level of wind turbine at different distances. What i need is to distinguish how air temperature affects noise level that wind turbine spreads. The good advice, formula or advice on the formula would be appreciated. I hope i expressed myself clearly about the subject. Thanks in advance.

For now i have some formulas that might come in handy:
    E(t)=0,5*ρ*V3, as of ρ=P/R*T
    I came across this one: P (ThermalNoise) = k*T*B, but it's measured in watts, as of i need db.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    "straightforwardness" is good ;)

I'd treat this as an inverse problem.
    Model the measurement process and extract the statistics of the noise for the different conditions, trying to isolate the variable you are investigating. The details depend on your data-sets ... ideally you design the experiment to perform useful measurements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook