1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noise Intensity

1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    A machinist is in an environment where the ambient sound level is of 85 dB, i.e., corresponding to the 8 Hours/day noise level. The machinist likes to listen to music, and plays a Boom Box at an average level of 86.0 dB.

A.Calculate the INCREASE in the sound level from the ambient work environment level (in dB)

I'm not sure really what to do..... do I just subtract the two, because that seems to easy I changed the dB to intensity and stuff but not sure what to do with them either or if that is even right...... Any help would be nice, or even a hint! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2009 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Keep in mind that, unless the worker has a Bose noise-cancellation headphone, his music is not going to block the ambient noise, but add to it. Therefore the intensities of the two sources are going to be added together. This does not correspond to the dB's being added though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook