Confronting the Embarrassment: Dealing with Unwanted Noises in Meetings

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the person giving the presentation must have been very good at hiding his gas problems or the other people in the room were very forgiving.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
On a serious note, you are in a meeting, nine people sat round a table one
standing explaining some thing on a white board, and you hear a noise, of
course every one looks, the chairs are covered in leather so may be hmm,
then the noise comes again and you are in no doubt this time as to what
and whom it is, the meeting goes on every one trying to concentrate on the
speaker, but in the space of five minuter four or five of these noises occur,
what do you do??

Physics news on Phys.org
Continue playing games on your cell phone because the meeting was useless anyway?

you think to yourself...thank GOD its not me...then wonder if everyone else thinks its you.

moose said:
Continue playing games on your cell phone because the meeting was useless anyway?

No, it was an important meeting, about reorganizing the factory and brining in
new machinery, the details were very important as the factory produces 24/7
and any delays in reorganizing would loose customers.

The poor person should have excused himself to the bathroom.

Lesson learned - don't eat beans the night before an important meeting.

Last edited:
Evo said:

:rofl:
Should some one have suggested he excuse himself ?

Evo said:

Perhaps the person giving the presentation, upon noticing that everyone was distracted from his talk anyway, could have decided it was a good time to take a 5 min break before continuing the discussion so the poor fellow in "distress" could run to the restroom!

There's a prof at Harvard in the applied math dept (maybe he's retired now) who had no control over his gas during class. Ripped some while we were taking our final too. Acted like nothing happened.

wolram said:
what do you do??
I pretend to listen so I could get the meeting over with and kill franzbear when I get home

1. How can I handle the embarrassment of my stomach growling during a meeting?

It is completely normal for our bodies to make noises, especially when we are hungry. The best way to handle this situation is to acknowledge it with a simple apology and then move on with the meeting. Remember, everyone has experienced a stomach growl at some point in their lives.

2. What should I do if I accidentally burp or hiccup during a meeting?

Accidental bodily noises, like burping or hiccuping, can be embarrassing in a professional setting. The best way to handle it is to simply apologize and continue with the meeting. It's important to remember that these noises are natural and happen to everyone.

3. How can I politely address someone's loud chewing or other distracting noises during a meeting?

It can be difficult to address someone's distracting noises without causing offense. The best approach is to politely and privately mention it to the person after the meeting. You can also try to redirect the conversation back to the meeting topic to minimize the distraction.

4. Is it appropriate to bring up someone's loud breathing or sniffling during a meeting?

It is generally not appropriate to bring up someone's breathing or sniffling during a meeting as it can make them feel self-conscious or embarrassed. However, if their noise is significantly disrupting the meeting, it may be necessary to address it privately and politely afterwards.

5. How can I prevent my own bodily noises from being a distraction during a meeting?

To prevent your own bodily noises from becoming a distraction, try to eat a light and quiet meal before the meeting. It can also be helpful to avoid carbonated drinks or foods that are known to cause gas. Practicing deep breathing exercises before the meeting can also help to reduce any potential noises.