What is the molecular weight of Pluronic F-127?

In summary, the conversation discusses conflicting information about the molecular weight of Pluronic F-127. While one source states it is roughly 12k Da, another suggests that the 'F' stands for 'flake' and the first 2 digits indicate the molecular weight divided by 300. This would result in a molecular weight of 3600 Da, which is different from the first source. The speaker expresses a need for a third or fourth source to confirm the correct molecular weight. It is mentioned that there are several sources on the internet that state the molecular weight is 12000 Da, and the speaker believes the discrepancy may be an error on Wikipedia. It is also noted that the Mw distribution of these polymers can be wide
mrund3rd09
I'm mainly concerned with Pluronic F-127.

I want to know it's molecular weight. On one source, it says that the molecular weight is roughly 12k Da. On the other hand, (and this is from wikipedia) it suggests that the 'F' stands for 'flake' or solid at room temperature, and the first 2 digits indicate the molecular weight of the polymer/300. So... F-127, first 2 digits, 12. 12*300 = 3600 Da, which is different from 12000 Da.

I have two conflicting sources, and I will be much more comfortable if I have a third source or even better fourth source that agrees with either one of these.

All I want is the molecular weight of F-127

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is 12000. There are several sources on the net. It is probably an error in Wikipedia. The Mw distributionof these polymers tend to be very wide so if you are ploaning to use the Mw for the selection of ultrafilters, be advised that it may be more difficult than you expect to get a clean separation.

1. What is poloxmer?

Poloxmer is a group of synthetic polymers that are used in a variety of applications, such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and household products. They are known for their unique properties, including their ability to form gels and their compatibility with both water and oil.

2. How is poloxmer named and classified?

Poloxmers are named based on their molecular structure, which consists of blocks of poly(ethylene oxide) and poly(propylene oxide). The number in the name corresponds to the molecular weight of each block. They are classified as nonionic surfactants, meaning they do not have an electric charge.

3. What are the different types of poloxmers?

There are four main types of poloxmers: Lutrol, Pluronic, Synperonic, and Tetronic. These are brand names used by different manufacturers, but they all refer to the same type of polymer. Each type has a different molecular weight and ratio of poly(ethylene oxide) and poly(propylene oxide) blocks, resulting in different physical and chemical properties.

4. How are poloxmers used in pharmaceuticals?

Poloxmers have several applications in the pharmaceutical industry, including as solubilizing agents, emulsifiers, and controlled release agents. They are also used in ophthalmic preparations, as they are biocompatible and can increase the residence time of drugs on the eye's surface. Additionally, poloxmers are used in tissue engineering as scaffolds for cell growth.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using poloxmers?

There have been some concerns about potential toxicity of poloxmers, but studies have shown that they are generally safe for use in pharmaceuticals and other products. However, like any chemical, they should be handled with care and used according to recommended guidelines. It is always important to follow the instructions on the product label and consult a medical professional if there are any concerns about potential adverse effects.