Why is sucralose also known as trichlorosucrose in nomenclature?

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nomenclature
In summary, sucralose is also known as trichlorosucrose, however, the only correct name according to IUPAC is 1,6-Dichloro-1,6-dideoxy-β-D-fructofuranosyl-4-chloro-4-deoxy-α-D-galactopyranoside. The alternate name is just a customary name and there is no definite logic behind it. The English term for this would be "trivial name".
Soaring Crane
Why is sucralose also called trichlorosucrose? Is this alternate name correct in the nomenclature sense? Why are the positions of the chlorine atoms not indicated in “trichlorosucrose”, and why is it not indicated in this term that the molecule lacks OH groups on the respective carbons by including the term “deoxy”?

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would say the only correct name is (according to wikipedia, but I guess it doesn't matter much) 1,6-Dichloro-1,6-dideoxy-β-D-fructofuranosyl-4-chloro-4-deoxy-α-D-galactopyranoside - this is a systematic IUPAC name. Every other name is just a customary (or common - my English fails me here) name and looking for any logic behind is a waste of time. That is - there can be some logic, but there is no well defined, fail proof system.

--

Ok, the English you're referring to would be "trivial name"? Just for crying out loud.

1. What is the purpose of sweetener nomenclature?

Nomenclature of sweetener is used to classify and identify different types of sweeteners in a standardized and scientific manner. It helps in understanding the chemical composition, properties, and potential health effects of various sweeteners.

2. How are sweeteners named and categorized?

Sweeteners are named based on their chemical structure and categorized into different groups such as natural, artificial, non-nutritive, and low-calorie sweeteners. They are also classified based on their level of sweetness and how they are metabolized by the body.

3. What are the main types of sweeteners used in food and beverages?

The main types of sweeteners used in food and beverages include table sugar (sucrose), high-fructose corn syrup, natural sweeteners like honey and agave, artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose, and plant-based sweeteners like stevia.

4. Are sweeteners safe for consumption?

The safety of sweeteners depends on the type and amount consumed. Most sweeteners have been thoroughly tested and approved by regulatory agencies like the FDA. However, some individuals may have adverse reactions or sensitivities to certain sweeteners, so it is important to consume them in moderation.

5. How can I choose the right sweetener for my needs?

The choice of sweetener depends on personal preference, dietary needs, and intended use. For example, individuals with diabetes may opt for non-nutritive sweeteners, while those looking for a natural option may choose plant-based sweeteners. It is important to read labels and consult with a healthcare professional for guidance on choosing the right sweetener for your needs.