Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nomenclature question

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have a question about nomenclature and it may be a bit more than simple nomenclature as I am not quite sure I understand it:

So, I am reading a paper and going through it very slowly as it is quite intense. But one of the line is as follows:

Suppose the transformation s maps a point p to the point s(p). Let u = s - I be the displacement field associated with the transformation s.

I am confused as to what s - I represents. The subtracting of the identity from a transformation seems strange to me.

I always thought the displacement field can be simply represented for each particle by associating a vector with each particle...

I hope someone can clarify this doubt for me.

Many thanks,

Luc

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2
    I guess, they try to describe the vector by saying the vector is defined by its starting point and end point [itex]u = (x_2-x_1, y_2-y_1)[/itex] and [itex] s((x_1,y_1)) = (x_2,y_2)[/itex].

They probably used the notation [itex](s-I)(p)[/itex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook