1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nomenclature question

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have a question about nomenclature and it may be a bit more than simple nomenclature as I am not quite sure I understand it:

So, I am reading a paper and going through it very slowly as it is quite intense. But one of the line is as follows:

Suppose the transformation s maps a point p to the point s(p). Let u = s - I be the displacement field associated with the transformation s.

I am confused as to what s - I represents. The subtracting of the identity from a transformation seems strange to me.

I always thought the displacement field can be simply represented for each particle by associating a vector with each particle...

I hope someone can clarify this doubt for me.

Many thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2
    I guess, they try to describe the vector by saying the vector is defined by its starting point and end point [itex]u = (x_2-x_1, y_2-y_1)[/itex] and [itex] s((x_1,y_1)) = (x_2,y_2)[/itex].

They probably used the notation [itex](s-I)(p)[/itex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook