Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nominalistic Things

1. Apr 8, 2003 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Has anyone seen this ? Any comments?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, why is a "dragon" less dubious than "July the 11th"?
  4. Apr 8, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's a satire on some modern philsophies (note the mention of Rorty), which have been discussed not to long ago on PF Philosophy.
  5. Apr 9, 2003 #4
    do you know this chap? seems fascinating *stares off dreamily into space*, i was just wondering as i am in canberra...

...and need to get married to be eligible for youth allowance!

actually it was interesting from a philosophical point of view, how is it a satire? ooh, i missed something...

isn't calling a certain wavelength of vibration a C sharp just like calling a certain 'assembly' of cells a tree? i spose saying C sharp describes the properties of something real and tangible, like saying green describes one property of the real and tangible tree? am i on the right track? ah it's nice to disprove your own musings.

p.S: i was kidding about the getting married thing, well, it's true about the youth allowance... but yes, kidding... mmm
  6. Apr 9, 2003 #5
    Sarcasm is never pretty. Its existence around this issue highlights the absurdity of assuming intellectual stances such as nominalism and realism. Plato with his realistic ethics, burned all of Democritus' books while today Rorty criticizes realists. The simple truth is all of logic and philosophy is founded upon absurdity.

Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee,
    Resolved to have a battle,
    For Tweedle-Dum said Tweedle-Dee,
    Had spoiled his nice new rattle.
    Just then flew by a monstrous crow,
    As big as a tar barrel,
    Which frightened both the heroes so,
    They quite forgot the battle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?