Getting shot with a spud gun
Looked like he used a tennis ball. Dang, that had to hurt.
My nephew made a spud gun fueled with hair-spray, and it was powerful enough to blow holes in the wall of the old barn behind his house. Admittedly, the boards were old, but still - seeing hunks of potato penetrating boards was pretty impressive.
I would not volunteer to get shot with his spud gun.
I was talking to an electrician yesterday who had a worker who would test whether circuits were live with his fingers.
I assume that after doing this ten times, he'd have to start coming to work barefoot.
I worked construction with an electrician who would test pigtails (120V pairs) with his fingers. It's not a hand-to-hand shock (that could easily kill you) and he did it instead of using meters so that he would know instantly whether the hallways, apartments, etc were supplied with enough temporary power for the dry-wallers, tapers, etc.
As for the OP, OUCHIE!!!! I wonder if he broke any ribs? That was one nasty bruise, and of course found the most sensitive spot of one's chest. *shudders*
I think that Hypatia is right about that being a tennis ball. It makes me wonder what kind of damage a real potato would have done.
A real potato would have broken ribs and perhaps have punctured a lung and/or stopped his heart. My nephew's spud gun is a formidable weapon. I'm pretty sure that a head-shot at the range shown in the video would be fatal. When you can blow a hole in a barn wall 40-50 feet away with a chunk of potato, that's pretty scary. I wouldn't want to get hit with a Nerf ball out of that bazooka!
Every time I read the comments on a youtube video, I lose a little hope for the human race.
Surprisingly, the worst injury he got was a concussion from jumping (being blown?) back from a test on the 480V side of a transformer.
That guy is insane. Even of it was just a tennis ball, i'm still surprised he didn't break a rib.
Funny story, but a good friend of mine almost got hit with one that I built. I was sharing a workshop with another friend at the time and decided to build a cannon using a stun gun as the ignitor. I finally got it built and spent a few days trying out different fuels, mixtures and methods to get the best compression. Well, one day when I was away at my day job, my shop mate decided to grab it and show it off to some friends. He found the 9v battery for the stun gun and started demonstrating to his friends how it worked. What he didn't realize is that fumes from the previous test shot had built up in the chamber and when swung the cannon around to show them the spark jumping in the chamber by LOOKING DOWN THE BARREL!... it suddenly ignited and shot out a rag that I left in it for cleaning... full force. Thankfully he was in mid swing when he fired it and it whizzed by one guy just barely missing him by an inch or two and impacted the side of his car three or four feet away. Just a regular old shop rag mind you, left a large enough dent in his car that it was sill holding the rag in place where it impacted. After giving him a lecture on not play with guns, I then went on to hide the entire stun gun its self.
Picture of the cannon...
Looks like he got hit in the diaphragm. Not a pleasant place to be hit.
Separate names with a comma.