1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-absolutely convergent proof, help please

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    The problem states:
    Suppose [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] and [itex]\sum b_n[/itex] are non-absolutely convergent. Show that it does not follow that the series [itex]\sum a_n b_n[/itex] is convergent.

I tried supposing that the series [itex]\sum a_n b_n[/itex] does converge, to find some contradiction. So the series satisfies the cauchy criterion and the definition of convergence. I can't break the series apart (or can I?) so this is where I get stuck.

Then I wrote the implications of the first sentence to try to come up with a statement that doesn't allow [itex]\sum a_n b_n[/itex] to be convergent. I get stuck again.

What does a series being non-absolutely convergent imply that is useful?

Is it true that [itex]\sum |a_n b_n|[/itex] < [itex]\sum |a_n|[/itex] [itex]\sum |b_n|[/itex] ? I don't know if that would help

Sorry it looks like I don't have much work done, but I've been looking at this for several days.

Note: The section in which the problem is assigned talks about the boundedness criterion for convergence, the Cauchy criterion for convergence, and absolute convergence, so I was hoping to come up with a proof that uses the information from the section.

Thanks
    CD

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you do that? Do you know what you're being asked to prove?
    Yes, it's obviously true (although it should be <, not <), and no, obviously it doesn't help.
    You need to know what you're trying to prove first. Basically, you want to find an example of series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] and [itex]\sum b_n[/itex] such that:

a) both converge
    b) neither converge absolutely
    c) [itex]\sum a_nb_n[/itex] doesn't converge

What types of series converge but don't converge absolutely? Ones that have some positive terms and some negative terms. Hint: take [itex]a_n = b_n[/itex]. Then once you prove [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges non-absolutely, you've automatically proven that [itex]\sum b_n[/itex] converges non-absolutely. Moreover, if you do this, then you get:

[tex]\sum a_nb_n = \sum a_n^2[/tex]

a sum of positive numbers. So whereas [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] is supposed to be a series that converges, but doesn't converge absolutely, hence converges only because it has negative terms "balancing out" its positive terms, the series [itex]\sum a_n^2[/itex] has no negative terms, so it's "more likely" to be divergent. What's a very common example of a divergent series?
    You don't need any of that information.

4. Nov 30, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

AKG's point is that assuming [itex]\sum a_n b_n[/itex] does converge would be perfectly reasonable if you were trying to prove that, under the given hypotheses, [itex]\sum a_n b_n[/itex] never converged. But that is not the case. You want to show that the statement "If [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] and [itex]\sum b_n[/itex] converge then [itex]\sum a_n b_n[/itex]" is NOT true. You want to find a counter example.

5. Nov 30, 2006 #4
    Have you both never heard of a proof by contradiction??

A statement can't be proven true by example.

6. Nov 30, 2006 #5

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See here.
    additional characters

7. Nov 30, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you not READ what we both said? The original problem was "Suppose [itex]\Sum a_n[/itex] and [itex]\Sum bn[/itex] are non-absolutely convergent. Show that it does not follow that the series [itex]\Sum a_nb_n[/itex] is convergent." It does NOT follow. In other words prove that it is not true. You certainly can use a counter-example to prove something is NOT true.

8. Nov 30, 2006 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Arcadiaz, prove that a natural number N is not necessarily even.

If you cite 3 as an example that isn't even, you've shown that N is not necessarily even.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?