Is a Master's in Mathematics the Key to a Non-Academic Academic Career?

In summary: Well, that's something you'll want to investigate. But in general, I think the program would be a great opportunity for you. Really?The College of Education offers a variety of financial aid, including scholarships and graduate fellowships to currently enrolled students. Graduate Fellowships are available to eligible students and usually provide aid to help cover the costs of tuition, as well as a stipend. They can include responsibilities for teaching, conducting research, and other administrative duties"Are you not eligible?The M.A. Math is not offered by the College of Education. It is offered by the Math Department.I remember reading somewhere on the Math Dept. website that they don't offer any TA/RA funding for that degree. Someone would
Shackleford
I'm graduating in May with a B.S. Math and Physics Minor. I really don't want to teach, but I think I would enjoy something like mathematics curriculum development/assessment, etc. Of course, this would generally be outside of academia - at least at the university level. However, in my search for related jobs, it seems that tutoring companies and other ancillary educational entities hire for such a career. One of math professors recently did academic consulting at some school with a program that needed help. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get very far with just a B.S. and no teaching experience, so I'm again considering this Master of Arts in Math at my university. It's geared towards teachers who want to teach at the high school and junior college level, so it's difficulty is nowhere near a science/research graduate math degree.

So, I'm just wondering what you guys think in general about this. I hope I'm making sense.

http://www.mathematics.uh.edu/graduate/master-programs/master-of-arts/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you will have a great future if you go into STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) teaching. The program you linked to, however, does not provide any experience in teaching itself- yes, you likely need advanced training in Mathematics, but you will also need instructional practice. University of Houston seems to have something like UTeach, you may want to investigate that.

Andy Resnick said:
I think you will have a great future if you go into STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) teaching. The program you linked to, however, does not provide any experience in teaching itself- yes, you likely need advanced training in Mathematics, but you will also need instructional practice. University of Houston seems to have something like UTeach, you may want to investigate that.

Well, the program includes three approved electives, so I'm sure I could fill those with some education courses. The problem I have is paying for this. There's no TA/RA offers for this program like there is for the M.S. programs.

http://www.coe.uh.edu/current-students/academic-programs/mathematics-education/coursework.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?

"The College of Education offers a variety of financial aid, including scholarships and graduate fellowships to currently enrolled students. Graduate Fellowships are available to eligible students and usually provide aid to help cover the costs of tuition, as well as a stipend. They can include responsibilities for teaching, conducting research, and other administrative duties"

Are you not eligible?

The M.A. Math is not offered by the College of Education. It is offered by the Math Department.

I remember reading somewhere on the Math Dept. website that they don't offer any TA/RA funding for that degree. Someone would have to pursue other general scholarships/grants. I can't find it now, though.

1. What is a non-academic academic career?

A non-academic academic career refers to a career path in which a scientist uses their expertise and knowledge in a field of study, but does not work in a traditional academic setting such as a university or research institution.

2. What types of careers fall under the category of non-academic academic careers?

There are many different types of careers that fall under this category, including positions in government agencies, non-profit organizations, industry research and development, science policy, and science communication.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a non-academic academic career?

One of the main benefits is the potential for a better work-life balance and more stable job opportunities. Additionally, these careers often offer higher salaries and the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and initiatives.

4. What skills and experiences are necessary for a successful non-academic academic career?

In addition to a strong academic background in a specific field, individuals pursuing this type of career should have excellent communication, project management, and problem-solving skills. They should also have experience working in interdisciplinary teams and be able to adapt to different work environments.

5. How can I transition from an academic to a non-academic academic career?

There are several steps you can take to successfully transition to a non-academic academic career. These include networking with professionals in your desired field, gaining relevant experience through internships or volunteer work, and tailoring your resume and cover letter to highlight transferable skills. It may also be helpful to seek guidance and advice from a career counselor or mentor.