Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Non-Academic Book

1. Dec 20, 2008 #1
    Non-academic books every aerospace engineer should read:

You MUST read this book. It should be required reading at any school!
    [​IMG]

[1] Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years of Lockheed (Paperback): by Ben R. Rich (Author), Leo Janos (Author)

[​IMG]

[2]Kelly: More Than My Share of It All [ILLUSTRATED] (Paperback):by Clarence L. "Kelly" Johnson (Author), Maggie Smith (Contributor)

Please add any good (non-technical) books to the list you may have read!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    I am currently reading this book for my pleasure:

[​IMG]

It's about the design requirements of helicopers and rotor systems. It's a good book, but a bit technical. It's not an engineering textbook, but you may find it somewhat hard to follow if you don't know engineering becuase it has lots of equations in it with no derivations provided.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Helicopter-Thinking-Forward-Looking-Back/dp/0966955315

(Mine is signed by the author, as he was my taught my graduate class in Helicopter Aerodynamics. )

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    I've given this book a read... its amazing..

Aerodynamics - Selected Topics in the Light of their Historical Development, By Theodre von Karman
    Cornell University Press, Ithaca, 1954

Published in 1954, this book is a collection of lectures by Theodre Von Karman. The book fancies about reaching moon and supersonic flight, while explaining the underlying basics of Aerodynamics in a very lucid and simple manner. A must read for all of us!

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4
    I think this will be my next read, thanks! :approve:

6. Sep 19, 2009 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

[I know it's old]

Skunk Works is one of my favorite nonfiction books (I've been made fun of for referring to it too often here...). I didn't know Kelly Johnson had a book though - I must read it!

7. Sep 19, 2009 #6
    I'm reading this book...

Fundamentals of Aerodynamics by John D. Anderson

It's very good book!!:smile:

8. Sep 19, 2009 #7
    For some reason I can't delete this.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  9. Sep 19, 2009 #8
    Edit my last post: No, I said non-techincal books (sorry). I thought you meant his other book "A History of Aerodynamics".

No textbooks allowed (We could make another thread on technical texbooks though).

I ran into Dr. Anderson last week at the Smithsonian and we talked for a bit. I'll have to get him to sign his Aerodynamics book for me.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  10. Sep 19, 2009 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That's hardly a non-academic book! That is a widely used textbook in many first year aero courses.

11. Sep 20, 2009 #10
    My apologise..I confused the non-academical books with technical..I'm so sorry!!!:frown:

As the non-academical book i was reading this:

Where No Man Has Gone Before: A History of Apollo Lunar Exploration Mission
    by William D. Compton

I bought it from amazon.com..:biggrin:

12. Sep 20, 2009 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Really. It's no big deal. Sorry if I seemed too harsh.

13. Sep 20, 2009 #12

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Understanding Flight [intro aerodynamics] - D. Anderson, S. Eberhardt (McGraw-Hill, 2001)

Very good book. This book can be read at any pace and especially aimed at non-technical readers and keeps everything basic.

This book fueled my interests in aircrafts and aerodynamics in general.

14. Sep 28, 2009 #13
    I don't like the format of PF for this thread (It doesnt read well), so I made my own website.

http://aerospaceindustrynews.webs.com/

You can find the booklist there. So I will post updates here when I add more to my website.

15. Oct 3, 2009 #14
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
  16. Jan 2, 2010 #15
  17. Jan 5, 2010 #16

Astronuc

18. Jan 5, 2010 #17
    "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet," by Brian Shul.

"Bat 21," by Iceal Hambleton.

I've read them both, and have autographed copies by the authors!

19. Jan 10, 2010 #18

Astronuc

Semi-technical, semi-academic e-book

FROM ENGINEERING SCIENCE TO BIG SCIENCE
    http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4219/Contents.html

The NACA and NASA Collier Trophy

Research Project Winners

Edited by Pamela E. Mack

The NASA History Series

Table of Contents

Chapter 1 "Engineering Science and the Development of the NACA Low-Drag Engine Cowling," James R. Hansen
    Chapter 2 "Lew Rodert, Epistemological Liaison, and Thermal De-Icing at Ames," Glenn E. Bugos
    Chapter 3 "Research in Supersonic Flight and the Breaking of the Sound Barrier,"John D. Anderson, Jr.
    Chapter 4 "The Transonic Wind Tunnel and the NACA Technical Culture," Steven T. Corneliussen
    Chapter 5 "The Whitcomb Area Rule: NAGA Aerodynamics Research and Innovation," Lane E. Wallace
    Chapter 6 "The X-15 Hypersonic Flight Research Program: Politics and Permutations at NASA," W.D. Kay
    Chapter 7 "The Collier as Commemoration: The Project Mercury Astronauts and the Collier Trophy," Jannelle Warren-Findley
    Chapter 8 "Managing America to the Moon: A Coalition Analysis," W. Henry Lambright
    Chapter 9 "The Human Touch: The History of the Skylab Program," Donald C. Elder
    Chapter 10 "LANDSAT and the Rise of Earth Resources Monitoring," Pamela E. Mack
    Chapter 11 "Voyager: The Grand Tour of Big Science," Andrew,J. Butrica
    Chapter 12 "The Space Shuttle's First Flight: STS-1," Henry C. Dethloff
    Chapter 13 "More Favored than the Birds: The Manned Maneuvering Unit in Space," Anne Millbrooke
    Chapter 14 "The Advanced Turboprop Project: Radical Innovation in a Conservative Environment,"
    Mark D. Bowles and Virginia P. Dawson
    Chapter 15 "Return to Flight: Richard H. Truly and the Recovery from the Challenger Accident," John M. Logsdon
    Chapter 16 "The Hubble Space Telescope Servicing Mission," Joseph N. Tatarewicz

20. Feb 10, 2010 #19
    Just finished reading the book: "Lockheed Stealth", by Bill Sweetman and mentioned by Fred in a past thread. Overall, a good book!

Also, Dan Raymer just came out with a new book about his life as an aerospace engineer. I've got my copy already, go get yours!

21. Feb 10, 2010 #20
    I have and read both books you mentioned in Post #1.

I would like to suggest the following book called "MUSTANG DESIGNER: Edgar Schmued and the P-51" by Ray Wagner I read it approximately 20 years and found it very interesting. It is a biography of Edgar Schmued and discusses the Developmental History for both the P-51 Mustang and the F-86.

Enjoy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?