Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-axiomatic systems

1. Aug 14, 2005 #1
    Does anybody know a good source for learning about non-axiomatic logics?
    I found just one name Pei Wang.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2005 #2
    The scientific method is the best example of a non-axiomatic logic I can think of.

4. Aug 15, 2005 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I have no idea what a non-axiomatic logic is, but in trying to find out, googling 'non-axiomatic reasoning system' gives better results.

5. Aug 15, 2005 #4
    Yeah, that's what I found too: basically work by one person named Pei Wang. I guess one difference between axiomatic and non-axiomatic as described by him is that axiomatic systems assume knowledge provided through premises to be sufficient, while non-axiomatic systems take insufficiency of knowledge as the ground fact, they learn and adapt. A better paper by him that I found (if anybody is interested) is Cognitive Logic versus Mathematical logic.

6. Aug 15, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I only glanced at the pages. It seemed to be something about artificial intelligence. Did you read enough to see if or how it's different from plain ol' inductive reasoning?

7. Aug 16, 2005 #6
  8. Aug 16, 2005 #7
    Ok its a 181 page paper, i think i will reserve my comments until i can finish reading it up.

-- AI

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?