Learning Non-Axiomatic Logics: Pei Wang

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, Pei Wang is a notable source for learning about non-axiomatic logics, particularly in the field of artificial intelligence. Non-axiomatic logics differ from axiomatic logics in that they do not assume knowledge to be sufficient, but rather embrace the insufficiency of knowledge and adapt accordingly. Wang's paper "Cognitive Logic versus Mathematical Logic" delves deeper into this distinction and is available on Citeseer.
EvLer
Does anybody know a good source for learning about non-axiomatic logics?
I found just one name Pei Wang.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
EvLer said:
Does anybody know a good source for learning about non-axiomatic logics?
I found just one name Pei Wang.
Thanks in advance.
The scientific method is the best example of a non-axiomatic logic I can think of.

I have no idea what a non-axiomatic logic is, but in trying to find out, googling 'non-axiomatic reasoning system' gives better results.

honestrosewater said:
I have no idea what a non-axiomatic logic is, but in trying to find out, googling 'non-axiomatic reasoning system' gives better results.
Yeah, that's what I found too: basically work by one person named Pei Wang. I guess one difference between axiomatic and non-axiomatic as described by him is that axiomatic systems assume knowledge provided through premises to be sufficient, while non-axiomatic systems take insufficiency of knowledge as the ground fact, they learn and adapt. A better paper by him that I found (if anybody is interested) is Cognitive Logic versus Mathematical logic.

I only glanced at the pages. It seemed to be something about artificial intelligence. Did you read enough to see if or how it's different from plain ol' inductive reasoning?

citeseer has a paper,
http://citeseer.csail.mit.edu/wang95nonaxiomatic.html [Broken]

-- AI

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok its a 181 page paper, i think i will reserve my comments until i can finish reading it up.

-- AI

1. What is non-axiomatic logic?

Non-axiomatic logic is a type of logic that does not rely on a set of axioms or assumptions to reach conclusions. Instead, it uses a combination of learning and reasoning to make inferences and solve problems.

2. Who is Pei Wang?

Pei Wang is a prominent researcher and scholar in the field of artificial intelligence and cognitive science. He is known for his work on non-axiomatic logic and the development of the Non-Axiomatic Reasoning System (NARS).

3. What is the Non-Axiomatic Reasoning System (NARS)?

The Non-Axiomatic Reasoning System (NARS) is a cognitive architecture developed by Pei Wang that uses non-axiomatic logic to learn and reason in a way that mimics human thinking. It is based on the principles of intelligence, including novelty, adaptivity, and creativity.

4. How does learning non-axiomatic logic differ from traditional logic?

Traditional logic relies on a set of axioms and rules to make deductions and draw conclusions. In contrast, learning non-axiomatic logic does not have a predefined set of axioms and instead learns and adapts its reasoning based on experience and feedback.

5. What are the applications of learning non-axiomatic logic?

Learning non-axiomatic logic has many potential applications, including in artificial intelligence, cognitive science, and machine learning. It can also be applied in fields such as natural language processing, robotics, and decision-making systems.