Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-bolded Usernames

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1

Defennder

Homework Helper

I've noticed that some of our members recently have had their usernames changed from it's usual bold font to the regular font type. What does this mean? They aren't banned or something are they?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2
    One way to get non-bold username is to try to change email-address, but not managing in responding to an activation mail.

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Correct, if an existing member changes the registration e-mail address, they need to complete the registration e-mail, otherwise their status is "waiting to complete registration) and are greyed out to signal to them they haven't completed everything.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  5. Oct 3, 2008 #4
    Is there other way to get the username into thin letters?

I got my account disabled once for sometime because the mail sending wasn't working, and now I get worried every time I see username in thin letters. Wouldn't, for example, ability to send PM to admins without mail confirmation be a good backup? Or is there something like this already?

6. Oct 3, 2008 #5

Evo

It's been discussed. A member that is "grey" can use the report post button, which sends a post to the mentors.

7. Oct 3, 2008 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

grammar alert!!!!

8. Oct 3, 2008 #7

Evo

Actually it's spelling, and it's a typo. <whacks arildno with a frozen slab of whale blubber> :biggrin:

9. Oct 3, 2008 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Gobbles blubber in shame and embarassment. Spelling it is..

10. Oct 3, 2008 #9

Defennder

Homework Helper

So that means that once their username has been greyed out they can't post anything until they respond to the activation email?

If so, then that's what happened to my old account here. It got deleted soon afterwords.

11. Oct 3, 2008 #10

Evo

Yes. A lot of new members fail to complete their registration and try to post.

12. Oct 4, 2008 #11

Defennder

Homework Helper

I see, thanks!

13. Oct 4, 2008 #12
    Is the information about this easily available?

14. Oct 4, 2008 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think so at the minute but it might be soon.

15. Oct 4, 2008 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We get enough reports from members who members in this group, so they must be trying anything to post!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?