Non-Bolded Usernames: What Does it Mean?

• Thread starter Defennder
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that some members' usernames have been changed to the regular font type, which may mean that they're not banned or something, but they need to respond to an activation email in order to continue posting.
Defennder
Homework Helper
I've noticed that some of our members recently have had their usernames changed from it's usual bold font to the regular font type. What does this mean? They aren't banned or something are they?

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to get non-bold username is to try to change email-address, but not managing in responding to an activation mail.

Correct, if an existing member changes the registration e-mail address, they need to complete the registration e-mail, otherwise their status is "waiting to complete registration) and are greyed out to signal to them they haven't completed everything.

Last edited:
Is there other way to get the username into thin letters?

I got my account disabled once for sometime because the mail sending wasn't working, and now I get worried every time I see username in thin letters. Wouldn't, for example, ability to send PM to admins without mail confirmation be a good backup? Or is there something like this already?

jostpuur said:
Is there other way to get the username into thin letters?

I got my account disabled once for sometime because the mail sending wasn't working, and now I get worried every time I see username in thin letters. Wouldn't, for example, ability to send PM to admins without mail confirmation be a good backup? Or is there something like this already?
It's been discussed. A member that is "grey" can use the report post button, which sends a post to the mentors.

evo said:
...they need to compleat..

grammar alert!

arildno said:
grammar alert!
Actually it's spelling, and it's a typo. <whacks arildno with a frozen slab of whale blubber> :biggrin:

Gobbles blubber in shame and embarassment. Spelling it is..

So that means that once their username has been greyed out they can't post anything until they respond to the activation email?

If so, then that's what happened to my old account here. It got deleted soon afterwords.

Defennder said:
So that means that once their username has been greyed out they can't post anything until they respond to the activation email?
Yes. A lot of new members fail to complete their registration and try to post.

I see, thanks!

Evo said:
It's been discussed. A member that is "grey" can use the report post button, which sends a post to the mentors.

Is the information about this easily available?

jostpuur said:

I don't think so at the minute but it might be soon.

jostpuur said:

We get enough reports from members who members in this group, so they must be trying anything to post!

1. What is the difference between a bolded and non-bolded username?

The main difference between a bolded and non-bolded username is the visual emphasis. Bolded usernames are usually seen as more eye-catching and stand out more in a list or in a conversation. However, the meaning or function of a username does not change based on its formatting.

2. Why are some usernames bolded while others are not?

The decision to bold or not bold a username is typically made by the platform or website where the username is being used. It may be a design choice or a way to distinguish certain users, such as moderators or administrators, from regular users.

3. Can a non-bolded username be changed to a bolded one?

In most cases, users do not have control over the formatting of their usernames and therefore cannot change it from non-bolded to bolded. This is determined by the platform or website.

4. Is there any significance or meaning behind a non-bolded username?

No, the formatting of a username does not have any inherent significance or meaning. It is simply a design choice made by the platform or website.

5. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to having a non-bolded username?

Having a non-bolded username does not have any advantages or disadvantages in terms of functionality. However, it may be less visually noticeable in a list or in a conversation compared to a bolded username.